Meet Jackson!

Thread: Meet Jackson!

Anji62 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMeet Jackson!

Hi, just to say how brilliant the forum has been over the past year and a great help to us, when I have popped on looking for some answers and to also see some of the lovely photos and stories.
    We picked up our 4th labrador 2 weeks ago. He is called Jackson and is now 10 weeks old and very cute. We already have a 4 year old black lab called Riley. We lost our other two over the past years (but never forgotten, they were the best!) We now have two more of the best.
    Everything is going brilliantly with Jackson until yesterday. I feel like I have gone backwards with the toilet training. Dont know why because Jackson has done so well and alot of it on his own - he picked it up quick, got on with what he has to do - but now I am having two problems and wondered if anyone could give me some tips or advice.
    1. Its become a game with the 'wees' - he goes to the back door happily or tells us by standing at the patio door and cries which has been good. But now he is constantly doing it and gets out there to squeeze any drop he can to rush back in for praise/treat. So it is back and forwards so much rather than how it was as the normal routine etc..... and now because he is doing this so often the other problem has occurred.
    2. He doesnt want to spend time outside in the garden, he doesnt want to play or let me spend time training i.e. ..... he can now sit on command... he wants to get back in the kitchen for that treat so this has affected him wanting to do his 'poo' (sorry! about the word) (I think he has forgotten he needs to do it). Anyway, what is now happening is that he comes back in, we have playtime, some training and fun etc...I go back out and no interest in wanting to do the business so back in immediately...I can be doing something else such as clearing up or whatever then I discover the 'poo' anywhere on the kitchen floor.

I just dont know the best way to tackle this because everything else is great. He's happy, adores our other lab (we should have called him Riley's shadow, not jackson). Can anyone suggest anything to try...didnt have this with our other labs.

Also, how do I attach a photo to my messages as I would love to put one on of both Riley and Jackson.
    Look forward to hearing from anyone.
    Anji

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Marnie is offline Member

DefaultRe: Meet Jackson!

Jackson will be fine. Go back to the beginning and retrain him. Stop rewarding him so much and I would cut out the treats as opposed to praise. Most people don't know that one normal sized dog biscuit has the same amount of calories as a bowl of dog food. Only reward him when he is supposed to go, not when he is going to the door for attention. Don't always reward him in the same place. He has learned that the kitchen is treat central. He has also learned that when he goes to the door he gets a treat. Your puppy will go to the bathroom after it wakes up, after it eats a meal and sometimes after playtime due to excitement. It is very easy to get them on a schedule by the way you feed them. Some people believe in free feeding but this is not always the best idea when trying to potty train a puppy. It is very difficult to regulate your puppy's metabolism when he eats whenever he wants.

For the time being I would try to have most of your playtime outside. He will eventually want to go out for that reason alone. He has learned that coming inside means playtime, treats and a generally good time. I would make the house a calm place for him rather than a playground. He seems very smart, too smart in fact. Good luck, I'm sure he'll get it.

Thanks Marnie. It always helps when you get someone elses advice and perspective on things....and I can see what you are saying about Jackson's view of the kitchen as being 'treat central' - just having what you have said has given me the 'go' again...... one good thing has happened, we woke up this morning to a good night sleep and no toilet - he charged to the back door and went out and did both. Really proud!! haha ....I am going to do what you suggest now with him. Will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    I also have a Jackson but your post reminded me of saying my vet and I used to say "The dumbest dogs make the best pets!" Smart ones...like yours....seem somehow to stay just a step ahead of us and challenge us. No advice. Just Good Luck

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see some pictures.

Marnie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anji62
    Thanks Marnie. It always helps when you get someone elses advice and perspective on things....and I can see what you are saying about Jackson's view of the kitchen as being 'treat central' - just having what you have said has given me the 'go' again...... one good thing has happened, we woke up this morning to a good night sleep and no toilet - he charged to the back door and went out and did both. Really proud!! haha ....I am going to do what you suggest now with him. Will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again..
    I'm sure he'll be fine. Sometimes they train us and we don't even realize it.

Hi there - I would love to show some photos but as said in my first message I dont know how to attach photos to these messages. Is there an easy way to do so? I cant work it out.....I have loads of photos just need some guidance for this forum messaging.
    Thanks for the welcome!!
    Anji

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Someone just recently told me how to add pictures. Hopefully, this is it...in a nutshell. If you don't get it, email me. But please be aware...I'm a rank beginner and I screw up often.

1) first you need to upload your photos to a web based photo thing. Someone recommended Shutterfly so that's what I use. It's free.
    2) When you get your photos there you right click. Get properties and copy the http thingy! (I'm not the most techo savvay).
    3) Copy it.
    4) On the forum hit the second block on the second row under message icon. It will look something like this (img)(img). When you hit it, the cursor will be between the two.
    5) Paste it.
    6) Voila...a picture.
    Hope this helps