New to forum, new puppy, sick puppy

Thread: New to forum, new puppy, sick puppy

DefaultNew to forum, new puppy, sick puppy

Hi all, I just brought home a male chocolate lab. This is my first Lab, although I before had a St. Bernard, and my siblings have Labs. He came home as a 8 week old puppy, weighing in at 8lb, very skinny.

Regretfully, he arrived sick. First he had bloody diarrhea, took him to the vet, and he said he had Giardia. The vet sent him Metronidazol, he got better.
    A couple of days passed and he got very ill, he would vomit his whole kibbles after eating and also diarrhea once again. Took him to the vet once again they couldn't tell me what he had and just sent some immune boosters. He didn't get better and lost more weight now he weighed 5lbs. I decided to take him to another vet as he got worse, the new vet diagnosed after heavy blood work diagnosed Babesia and Haemobartonella(Mycoplasma), both tick transmitted, and since he came from a farm in Guayaquil this was likely.
    The vet injected Berenil (not approved in the US), but I liven in Ecuador. This is very strong and he could have gone into shock, but he pulled through. For the Mycoplasma she sent him doxycycline, and B vitamins to prevent liver damage. Initially he did well no more vomits his mood was more like a puppy.
    Now he just finished his doxycycline yesterday, but he has been vomiting lately after eating. He then eats the vomit again since it is mostly the same kibbles, I let him. After vomiting his mood is once again like a normal puppy, and his appetite is normal also. I just hope it is because the medicine was strong, but not enough time has passed to tell. He has a vet appointment tomorrow, I am very worried for Potito (that's his name). I'll keep you guys posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New to forum, new puppy, sick puppy

I hope Potito gets well soon!!! It's sad that the poory little guy has had a rough time of it already! Fingers crossed for you both
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on your poor little guys progress.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Welcome from NY!

Yes, please let us know how your puppy is doing I hope he's okay?

LandS is offline Junior Member

Sorry to hear about you dog.
    I hope he gets better!!
    keep us posted.