Meet Jake, from Florida

Thread: Meet Jake, from Florida

HarveyH45 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMeet Jake, from Florida

Hi, first post here. My first full blooded lab, and kind of a handful compared to my last puppy. So, I hit the web looking for some help and inspiration.

Jake was 7 months old when I got him, potty trained, but little else. Two months later, he's much better behaved, but still plenty of challenges to work out. He's a very fast learner, and adapts well, unfortunately a short attention span and narrow focus. The strangest dog I've ever owned, hardly makes a sound. Hasn't barked even one time, little over two months now. Not sure if this is normal, previous owner says it is, I think he's defective. Best I get out of Jake is a whine or a whimper, guess it's a blessing in a puppy, but like the communication.

Jake loves the water, and he's getting to be a pretty good swimmer. Can't wait for the water to warm up some, or my mom to heat her pool, so I can join him. Not sure how to tell if he's had enough, but he'll swim out in the lake and fetch pretty much as long as I throw. Been keeping it to 5 or 6 times, about 25 feet, few shorter distance. Doesn't seem to be struggling. Little worried about snakes and gators when the water gets warmer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_CHOCO4ME is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Meet Jake, from Florida

Welcome Jake from Florida! Ther are quite a few Jakes here!

Jake from California
    Jake, Blue and Ginger<br />

Gene Guest

Hi, Jake

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labcrazy is offline Member

Welcome to you and Jake. Love of water and retrieving I understand but enjoy the no barking because once he finds his voice ... at least tha is what we had. Four years later we are still trying to get him to stop barking at the neighbours car.
    Tara
    &quot;Heaven goes by favor, if it went by merit you would stay out and your dog would go in&quot; - Mark Twain

Thanks. We live in Saint Cloud, and down at the lake 4-5 days a week. He's been pretty well behaved the past couple of weeks, hard to believe the puppy phase lasts about 3 years. Maybe this is just the calm before the storm.

Kind of relieved that his silence is normal. I don't think he'll be a nuisance about it, it's really easy to control. Usually they just want to show you something, acknowledge it, and its done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

Hi Jake! I am also a fellow Floridian & a newbee to this site. My seven year old will only bark if there is a good reason to bark. He will growl if you try to wake move him while he is sleeping though.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

I too am another Floridian up in the panhandle w/ two Labs. My grandparents had a little winter cottage in Pine Grove, right outside of St.Cloud that we use to come down and visit from MI every year.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Welcome from Tallahassee! ;D
    Katie and Boo

Wow, a lot of black labs in Florida. Since the hot weather is coming, how do they handle the sun and the heat? I know, I prefer the early morning or just as the sun is setting, but Jake spends a lot of time outdoors. The morning and evening walk will be okay, but mid-day after work it'll be 90+. He can swim at the lake, but getting there and back will be rough in the heat. He also loves chasing anything living that he finds in the backyard (my neighbor already asked me about a missing cat...), but don't think Jake would hurt anything.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Welcome! And HA HA HA... I also thought Saba was slightly defective when I got him as he would not make a sound for months! LOL .. they find their voice... no worries... now Saba "announces" everytime we pull up to the parking lot in front of our building, everytime we turn into the street when my parents live... everytime he wants a snack (which since he's a lab, is a LOT), everytime he wants a bit of attention or just any other time he feels like it..
    ;D ;D