New puppy owner!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy owner!

Candace is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew puppy owner!

I'm new to this site,, not sure what happened to my first e-mail but here goes again!
    We have a 3 month old black lab puppy KC. I would love to know how to start the bell training. Also any suggestions on how to get the stressed cat to like the puppy. Thanks Candace

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: New puppy owner!

Welcome, Candace & KC

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Welcome from WI; great to have you & KC on the board.
    No suggestions on that cat dilema......sorry!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome. Check out the training section for bell training. Sorry don't know about the cat.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

For bell training:

I hung the bells on the door, everytime I'd take Baloo out, I'd ring the bells (saying "bells!"), making sure he was watching me do it. After about a week of doing that every single time I took him out, one day he went to the door like he wanted to go outside. I was sitting in a chair close to the door, and he looked at me like, "Hello!! Hurry it up!" So I just said, "What..? I don't see a puppy." And he looked at me again, looked at the door, looked at me. I then said "bells!" and he whacked them with his nose, almost like, "OH! well why didn't you say so?" So I got up and let him out. Eventually, he would just go to the door and ring the bells automatically. When I'm taking him out for "last call" at night or before he goes in his crate, I'll say "bells!" and he'll ring them and get let outside.

As far as the cat goes, you'll just have to give it time. Monitor the puppy to make sure they aren't bugging the cat, and let the cat go at it's own pace in terms of feeling comfortable around puppy. Always make sure that any interaction is on the cats terms, not puppy's.

Welcome!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

lipplabbysmom is offline Member

Hi and welcome...I do not know on the bell training but agree with those above my post ..Now on the cats..I can help you..I had 4 old cats when I got my pup years ago...I made the mistake of not giving the cats THE MOST attention being they were here first and I didn't let them loose by him because he drove them crazy and one of my cats nailed him near the eyes..so I kept them apart a lot..Later he was OK with them but chased them and they were all close to 19 years old....so I kept them apart most of the time...Huge mistake in hindsight..let the cats put doggy in its place and you won't have to do the musical pets I did...I did not let the dog sleep in our bedroom which to this day he doesnt and that was smart because the cats felt safe in that room and much more special....trim their nails and DO make time alone with each pet but don't do what I did

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

Kate,
    That was a great story.... love to have seen when Baloo looked at you and then rang the bells-
    www.ecboardco.com

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to you and your new pup! I did the same thing as Kate did with the bells, but I have a wooden "Love me, love my Labrador" sign hanging at the back door that is loud enough for me to hear. I would hit the sign and say "pee pee poo poo" :, then let Riley out. She also caught on pretty quickly, just over a week. Now if I don't move quick enough when she hits the sign, she'll run to me and snorkle and run back and hit the sign again.

When we brought Riley home, Simba the cat was still a kitten at 5-6 months old. I was nervous about the turf thing and doing the introductions, but they instantly bonded and are best buds now. Sim definitely puts Riley in her place when he doesn't want to play. Good luck!

JeternJoba is offline Member

Hi Candace,

I don't know anything about the bells, but I can tell you our experience with the cat. When we first brought Jeter home, Bob,(our one eyed cat) didn't come out of hiding for about three weeks. I kept a good watch on them when he did as I was afraid he wanted to make Jeter a one eyed dog. When he did come around, I let them sniff each other, and it was like Bob decided "well, I might as well get used to him" and now they get along fine. When we got Joba ,10 weeks later ,Bob could have cared less , and when Joba starts chasing him, he chases back and has a good time. He lets Joba know when he's to rough without really hurting him.

labcrazy is offline Member

Sorry the only thing I can offer is a welcome to the board. What is the purpose of bell training I have never heard of it before?
    Tara
    &quot;Heaven goes by favor, if it went by merit you would stay out and your dog would go in&quot; - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast