Soon-to-be puppy owner from Canada....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soon-to-be puppy owner from Canada....

YellowFurBaby is offline Senior Member

DefaultSoon-to-be puppy owner from Canada....

Hi everyone!
    My name is Lisa and our family of 6 will soon be 7.
    My dh has known that I've wanted a lab puppy for eons now and for Christmas he surprised me with a gift certificate for a yellow lab baby. I cried more than the day he proposed to me, sad huh?

Dh grew up with Chihuahuas and I grew up around "real" dogs. LOL So this will be new for him but I think he'll be pleasantly surprised with how different and lovable BIG dogs are....once we get through the puppy stage. I go through periods of apprehension and joy on a daily basis, just like being pg all over again!

Our puppy isn't due 'til Mid-January so we won't be bringing he/she home 'til mid-March.
    Momma is 1/2 show and 1/2 field (English type), Papa is 100% field. Both dogs are absolutely gorgeous and have very sweet, calm dispositions.

As of right now, I have first pick for a male pup. Now I'm questioning if I should go with a female (I'm sure I'd get either 1st or 2nd pick). I initially chose male because they tend to be more affectionate and dependent, which I love. BUT, I've been thinking about our family and am almost wondering if we'd be better off with a female. We do have a busy family...not to mention my daughter and I are outnumbered 2-6 by males. LOL My youngest is 3 and oldest is 12.

If anybody has any input, I'd really love to hear it, I need to get back to the breeder asap if I decide to change my mind.
    ~~Lisa and Abbey 1/13/08<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Soon-to-be puppy owner from Canada....

Welcome to the board (from a fellow canadian)

Ask the breeder which puppy is the better fit for your family and your lifestyle. Though there are old wives' tales about males being more affectionate than females and so on - that is only a generalization. It's better to not choose by sexe or color but by PERSONALITY. And the breeder is the one who knows those puppers best.

oh and cudos on going with the gift certificate as the gift! Christmas can be a hectic time of the year for most of us - not exactly the best time to bring home a puppy (unless it's planned ahead of time and a quiet time)

Field bred eh - hope you are ready for pup with alot of energy! Are the parents titled in their domain (field/show)?

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Welcome from a fellow canuck!

I agree with letting the breeder pick, they spend 8 full weeks with the pups, and know them better than anyone! There are generalizations about males and females, as Tanya said, but there are many many many exceptions, so I wouldn't use those generalizations in your choice.

Where abouts in Canada are you? we're in Hamilton Ontario.

Congrats on the new addition! My boyfriend was pretty apprehensive about living with a "large" dog, but he absolutely loves Baloo now, so I'm sure your husband will be won over in no time!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Hi

Welcome from another Canuck! I am in British Columbia.

What kennel are you getting your puppy from?
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Thanks for the welcome and advice!

ITA with personality over gender. I have 3 boys and my 1 daughter takes the cake when it comes to activity level! The pups are spoken for BEFORE birth so I'm not sure if I can wait and see regarding gender. I'll check into that.

I'm in southern Manitoba and the people, we're getting the pup from, don't breed very often. They do live very close by, which will be nice. They have 4 yellow labs....a grandma...male and 2 females. They actually professionally breed horses. The females are from Golden Lightning Labs in ND. Hips and elbows are "good", unfortunately no cardiac/CERF done.

I'm a little nervous about having a majority field bred lab, but hopefully this pup will be like it's parents and grandparents.....mellow. Though I'll be expecting the opposite to avoid surprise. We're quite an active family and dh hunts so pup will be doing a little bit of everything, exercise shouldn't be a problem. Though I might go stir crazy until all the vaxs are done.

Is this where the females are from?
    http://whitelabradorretrievers.com/

Nope here, http://www.goldenlightninglabs.com/

Edited to add....oops I guess they are the same, just different addys. Sorry about that.

You do realize that there is no such thing as a 'white' lab .... right??

Of course! Yellow labs can vary in color from an almost white yellow to almost red.

AKC Standard in regards to the yellow coloring: "Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog."

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I have a few worries...and I realize you didn't ask it likely have your deposit and won't back out now but...

- No cerfs? Why not?
    - CHRISTMAS SALE? Come on, this isn't a computer! (was $1025..now only $725! what a deal)
    - Allowing sale on full registration (for higher price)
    -Why are the puppies different prices depending on COLOR? does this mean dogs from the same litter can be sold at different prices? That's ridiculous!
    -Puppies ON SALE for $750?
    - They says the gals are chosen for their conformation - but they don't seem to have any titles.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast