New Lab Puppy Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lab Puppy Questions

amazinggrace is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Lab Puppy Questions

I just got a lab puppy for Christmas. She came with "papers" from a reputable breeder in North Carolina. However, she is very fluffy, looks like a golden retriever, and at 8 weeks old, looks nothing like a Labrador retriever. Her papers say she is a "white lab." The breeder will not return my phone calls or emails. They claim to be the number 1 breeder in North Carolina and have provided puppies to Ducks Unlimited. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or recommendations? Thank you. We love her, she is going no where....just confused and feel like I have been taken. We paid alot of money for her. Thank you. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Lab Puppy Questions

what kennel did she come from? There are a few red flags in your post (placing a puppy at xmas, selling a 'white' lab), telling me that the breeder was NOT very reputable.

Did you see the parents?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry you are having such doubts and that the "breeder" is not returning your calls.

I agree with the above, the term "white" lab rings a huge bell, as does sending a puppy home on christmas. Did they ask YOU questions about your home, lifestyle, family before selling you a puppy? Did the parents have all teh genetic testing (Hips, elbows, eyes, heart)? Do the parents compete (ability, field, hunt, conformation) and are they titled?
    what papers do you have (what is the title)?

what were the items you looked at to decide this was a "good breeder"?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_CHOCO4ME is offline Senior Member

Welcome and Congrats on the new puppy. I am happy first and foremost that you love your pup no matter what she is. I am no expert but one thing is Labs can only be Registered as Yellow, Black and Chocolate, so I am not sure what you are referring to as *papers* because they would not say white. Also, some of the things you have mentioned make me question the integrity of the Breeder. As far as being a reputable Breeder, not so sure. They can make lots of claims but that does not make them reputable or responsible. I hope it is not really what it sounds likeit probably is .

Anyway, Good luck and Congrats on your new puppy! Enjoy her. ;D
    Jake, Blue and Ginger<br />

Gene Guest

Glad you love your puppy, I'm sure it will be a beautiful nice pet, no mater what is.

amazinggrace is offline Junior Member

Never did see the parents. ??? Was sent a picture of the sire and he is very stoic and handsome.....if that was really him. I have a green slip of paper from the Universal Kennel Club International stating her "Breed" is Labrador Retreiver, and her "color/markings" are white. Her parents have their Universal Sire and Dam #'s, and names. Sire is "BUDDY TINCH" and Dam is "THE LADY WHITE DIAMOND." Kennel is Rush Kennel in Pleasant Garden, North Carolina. Owner is Sheila Rush, and website is www.rushkennel.com. Rated #1 kennel in North Carolina. I took her to the vet yesterday and told the vet she was a lab and the vet said, "Really?" ugh.
    Regardless, I love her to death. Just confused and would like to get to the bottom of this. I paid alot of $$$$$$$ for her. How do I find the information on the sire and dam with the Universal #'s since the kennel won't respond to me now?

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Can you share a picture of her?
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

It's good that you love her. She is a great puppy and deserves all your love and a great life. where you got her is in the past and whatever you learn from here on out simply apply to the future.

oh and...what do you mean "provided puppies to ducks' unlimited?" Why does the organization need puppies?

I'm afraid UKC is not a legit club. The official club for pure bred dogs is teh AKC (in the states). being registered with any other organization is just being fancy but doesn't mean anything. There are all kinds of registries out there for mixed breeds, hybrids, speciality breeds (like doodles) and breeders who are not in good terms with the AKC

"their birthing rooms are temperature controlled and pups are handled daily by staff". blah. I want my pups raised in the home with he breeder. this is an enterprise to make money. Did you notice all teh breeds they have listed? This is a puppy mill. One of the "nicer" ones and it's likely their dogs do not live in cages but none the less, this is a puppy mill.

But this does not make your puppy less special.

A "good" (i.e. ETHICAL) breeder will test for the common health problems in labs (elbows, hips, eyes, heart, etc). They will compete with their dogs to prove them worthy of breeding (there are so many dogs out there, only those that best represent the breed should be bred). They do this by competing in conformation, field/hunt trials, obedience, etc. For me a good breeder raises their dogs in their home and puppies are raised in the home from birth until they day they leave (which is not until 8wks of age). they will ask potential buyers questions to ensure they are ready for a labrador and that their lifestyle is a good fit. This is really short form and is superficial there are others things as well.
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder.html

kaytris is offline Senior Member

you might want to check into the better business bureau or legal aid regarding fraud, BUT I would imagine any reimbursement you would get would entail returning the puppy.. but you could at least file a complaint with BBB.

(clarification to Tanya's excellent post - there IS a reputable UKC - the United Kennel Club - which is just as ethical and responsible as the AKC. But the 'universal kennel ' and the 'continental kennel clubs' are nearly always fronts for puppy mills.

We still want pictures!

sorry Kaytris! I should have been more specific. I did go to the site for the registry above (universal kennel club) and it appears they will register any breed or mix. Of COURSE the UKC (united kennel club) is legit! (http://www.ukcdogs.com/)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast