hi im new and i need some advice about my lab!!!

Thread: hi im new and i need some advice about my lab!!!

sadiemay is offline Junior Member

Defaulthi im new and i need some advice about my lab!!!

??? HI!!! i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to train my lab to not jump on people??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hi im new and i need some advice about my lab!!!

Hello,

You might want to cross post this to training (or even do a search there for this topic) or move to lab chat. You will get many more responses.

Oh - and welcome to the forum !

Sleeping_Lion is offline Member

Pop your pup on lead (leash) and get someone else to take the lead, they need do nothing except stop from being dragged forwards. Make sure you have a clicker and a bag of treats (and that your pup knows you have them), approach your pup from about 20 yards away calling their name and waving your arms encouraging them to jump. Very importantly, the second they jump break all eye contact stop calling them and turn away to your starting position again. All you have to do is repeat this until your pup works out the appropriate response, which should be a calm sit. Be firm and wait to make sure you get this response, and the second you do reward with a click and treat. Repeat as much as possible and in different places with different people, dogs learn in context to their surroundings so you need to reinforce that no jumping up means with nobody and nowhere. Hope that helps and welcome.
    Joanne and Jez, Indie and Tau<br /><br />The Tau Monster!!!!&nbsp; And Boootiful Indie.....<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

Hi! There are numerous methods when attempting to train your canine companion not to jump. In some cases you might try a few before finding one that seems to get the message across. Or you may just need a TON of patience with some. My yellow girl was like this. We tried several different ways suggested to us by different dog trainers and different books. There's the lead method, as explained in a previous posting here. I personally find that one to be a very viable option. Another method is to knee the dog just as jumps, knocking him off as he goes to plant a paw on you. It might take a few try just to get the timing right, but it's fairly simple and effective. There's also the one where you grab the front paws when they jump on you, and hold them for several minutes until they are uncomfortable and struggle. During this period DO NOT give them attention. Ignore them completely, act as if they were not even there as you continue to keep a grip on their paws. This method was from an older dog training book; some might find this method harsh, but for some it might be just the thing that gets it across to the dog, or you might work it in as a part of you training - perhaps when it's too late to prevent them jumping, but you want to correct their behavior.

Good luck!