New Lab Owner Could Use Some Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lab Owner Could Use Some Advice

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew Lab Owner Could Use Some Advice

Hi everyone and Happy New Year. My name is Peg and I have just become the somewhat reluctant owner of a 4 month old male lab puppy. Story is my daughter (who sometimes does not think ahead too much) bought it for my grandson age 4 and his brother age 10 months. Naturally the pup is rambunctious and knocks everyone over, scratches nips, etc. Just the things pups do. Well she now decided she could not handle him. I said I'd take him only because he cost them $300 (he is purebred and has papers) and really he is a sweetie. When she had him his life was basically crate, outside, crate outside. So of course now that I have him with a big house and yard and he is out most of the time he is in dog heaven. However, I also have a 5 yo Australian Shepherd and his 13 yr old mother. Of course the pup wants to play with the shephered (basically ignores the old girl). There has been a lot of growling and snarling by the shepherd but no real biting or hurting the pup. Also now after three days if the pup is not around, the shepherd goes looking for him. I have a lot of other questions to ask but don't want to get this too long. Can anyone give me advice. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Lab Owner Could Use Some Advice

I'm not actually sure what you are asking

in my experience I'd generally let the older dogs lay down the LAW to the puppy - their house their rules .. I don't keep dogs seperate though I will distract the puppy if he's harrassing the older ones or if they are getting obviously stressed

it was nice of you to take in the pup - I'm not sure what you mean about the 13 year old dog being the puppy's mom...

hang in there and enjoy puppyhood - its far too fleeting anyhow
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

jan elaine Guest

If I am understanding you, you want to know about the younger shep. and the lab pup and their behavior??!! Sounds normal to me. Lab pup is excited because now he has a friend. Shep already had company so is getting used to pup. Shep is putting pup in his place and letting pup know he is low man in pecking order! Everything is fine. The pup will learn and adjust his behavior accordingly.
    Ps- you were great to take in the little guy!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mombear is offline Senior Member

Sorry if that was confusing. In addition to the new pup I have a 13 year old beagle mutt, her 5 year old son (who is mostly Australian shepherd..don't ask). He basically leaves the old girl alone. He and the shepherd are tussling and like I said lots of growling and snarling and "pretend" biting but no real "biting". It does seem to be settling down and like I said I think the shep is starting to adapt. I'm trying to hang in there. Thanks for your support and help. I may be back often for a while if that's okay with you guys. Happy New Year.

(just so you know I don't even live with a whole lab- LOL)

time is often the best cure for the nonsense you get when introducing a new dog ... and if you have other questions there are lots of experts here

glad to get mom and son thing now - thanks

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'm 'fostering' (HAHAHHAH) an aussie shepherd right now, and I have to say they are VERY vocal and physical players - so what you say sounds quite normal.

You may want to start looking around for a good obedience class as well - nothing better for a lab puppy to interact with other dogs, and for you to instill some manners and good behaviour habits.

If you look at the Puppy subforum, there is a stickied thread called "Our Best Advice" with loads of great tips for puppy raising and training.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    I'm 'fostering' (HAHAHHAH)
    fostering is no joke

you are my hero

momtoBlue is offline Senior Member

Welcome!!
    <br /><br />Mom to 3 busy boys and&nbsp; my sweet little lab girl!!

Gene Guest

Welcome to the board, Peg. Also welcome to your three dogs Post pictures when you get some time. Happy New Year!

Einatit is offline Junior Member

Hello,

Your story sounds slightly like mine, except ironically it's the other way around with us. (I'm also new here by the way)

Billy, our labrador puppy is four months old. My boyfriend's father recieved her as a present, though I don't know what he was thinking since he (the father) is a very busy doctor and so is my boyfriend's mother and basically the situation was that if we weren't around, Billy didn't get any attention and she made a mess out of everything.

At first things were alright though because we lived nearby, but a month ago we moved to a new apartment with a HUGE yard (it's actually the grounds of our landlord's much larger house, but the picture is long endless stretches of soft green grass, tall trees and even a little brook) anyway, we wanted to take the puppy because we believed she would have a blast with us, but the only problem was the other dogs.

The landlord has two German Sepherds that roam the grounds freely, they're very sweet and friendly and are pretty much puppies themselves (8 and 9 months old) but from what the landlord told us, they showed a lot of hostility toward other dogs.

Needless to say, we were very nervous about bringing Billy over (especially since we couldn't imagine leaving her at the parents' house or giving her away because we love her very much).

With the help of the landlord's son we attempted bringing her over and having her meet each dog seperately, at first the result was awful, one of them (the huge one that weighs 50 kilos) bit her but didn't injure her. But gradually they calmed down, after several other attempts they didn't even bark when they saw her.

At first, when we let them lose around her, she's lie on her back and let them lick her stomach. She seemed to be unhappy with the situation, with her tail between her legs, but when we tried to seperate her from them she'd cry at the door and want to go back to them.

When they were around her they wouldn't let her out of their site, if she'd try to run away they'd chase here, stalking her like two big wolves.

But then more days passed and suddenly we noticed that during playtime she sometimes could jump on them (one swing of their big paws and she'd be on the ground). As more time passed the games became very agressive-looking with much growling and an occasional bark (and even yelps when Billy's needle-sharp teeth catch a German Shepherd's nose).

Playing with these days on a daily basis caused an amazing change in Billy, my hands used to be cut and bruised from her biting, but now the biting-our-hands stopped completely. She lost all her "annoying" qualities and is completely sweet and so easy and fun to take care of.

What I've learned through this experince is never to feel nervous when having your dog meet a bigger, stronger looking dog. If you're calm and confident, it's most likely nothing will happen, some dogs are simply overgrown puppies and aren't even aware how big they are, plus, crazy dog playing is probably good for you dog. (I'm not expert though, I'm basing my claim on my experince alone)

Have a nice day!

Einat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast