Guarding

Thread: Guarding

first is offline Junior Member

DefaultGuarding

We are palnning to but our first dog and wondering whether labrador guard your house? Do they need special training?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Guarding

is the dog ment to be primarily a guard dog? What type of guarding do you wish to see (just a warning bark is someone comes to the door or a dog left outside to actually GUARD?)

If you want primarily a true guard dog, the lab is not the breed for you. If you want a family pet who will be taught to bark when someone comes to the door then that is very doable with a lab.

labs are not known as guard dogs but most (not all) will at least bark when someone is approaching the house.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

first is offline Junior Member

Thanks
    We need a dog that the kids will be happy with but will also bark if someone is trying to enter the house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sleeping_Lion is offline Member

Hello, I'm pretty new here too. Our two are actually trained to do manwork (police dog type stuff) and have fabulous barks, one guy (from the water company) thought we bred rottweillers! So yes, they've got a good loud bark on them to deter any unwanted visitors.
    Have to add, our two are great with kids (surprising as we don't have any (thank goodness)) but we wouldn't ever leave them unsupervised, particularly with young kiddies. Indie loves her niece and nephew, and tries to supervise them, Tau isn't so sure of what to do and generally sticks close by to me. Its a topic that's particularly at the forefront in England at the moment with a baby having been killed by a 'pet' rottweiller.
    Joanne and Jez, Indie and Tau<br /><br />The Tau Monster!!!!&nbsp; And Boootiful Indie.....<br />

Tanya is offline Senior Member

A lab should very well do the trick - but remember with a living animal there are no guaranties (for example, my lab never barks - but he is abit of an oddball).Just remember labs need human interaction, lots of training, a good amount of exercise (meaning you will have to interact, be-it to throw a ball or go for a walk). Most dogs will bark when someone comes to the door and i'm sure it's a behavior you could encourage (though I admit I am no trainer)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky