Wish this was under different circumstances...

Thread: Wish this was under different circumstances...

SmileWish this was under different circumstances...

Hello and greetings from Colorado!

I was looking at the forum to find a breeder section to post this burt could not find one, so I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place.

My parents had to recently put down their 9 yr old black lab, Jake, and as such, are looking for another lab to add to their family. They are not looking for conformation/show, just a family companion, but obviously we don't want to buy from a BYB. They also have a 6 year old Westie.

My dad has asked me to help him in the search as I own two Dobermans and a Min Pin. I know with the Doberman breed, we are fierce protectors of our breed and want to ensure that people are educated about purchasing their Doberman from well-respected, trustworthy & ethical breeders that perform health testing, title their dogs and work to advance and better the breed. We DO NOT support BYB.

With that being said, I'm assuming that the Lab community has the same feelings/passion about your breed. As I'm very new to the Lab breed, I have a few questions that I hope you can assist me with -

1) What health testing should be done on the sire/dam prior to breeding?

2) Are there certain health issues that are more prone to Labs then other breeds (I'm aware of hips)

3) Do you know of any breeders in CO/AZ that I can contact?

4) Assuming you are buying from a reputable breeder, can you provide a ballpark price range?

I apologize for the overload of content and questions but any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the JL forum. I am so sorry about your parents lab. It is very good of you to help them seek out a responsible breeder for their new pup. I live in southern New Mexico but do know a couple of breeders in CO and AZ.

Jen is a breeder and belongs to this forum also. Her website is below and you can e-mail her through that site. She is around Colorado Springs and has beautiful dogs.

http://www.canyonlabradors.com/

Duke is outside of Phoenix AZ and owns Quail Chase Labradors. I got to know him when I was looking for my new pups (they are now 9 months old). His contact info in on his web site as well.

http://www.quailchaselabradors.com/

Both of them can walk you through all the health issues and concerns and can help you locate the right puppy for your parents. Good luck and be sure to let us know when you find the pup and post some pictures! We all love pictures.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sorry not a breeder, but I believe you are asking all the right questions. For more responses you might want to post in lab chat - as it gets more viewing.
    Good Luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NM Lab Lover View Post
    Welcome to the JL forum. I am so sorry about your parents lab. It is very good of you to help them seek out a responsible breeder for their new pup. I live in southern New Mexico but do know a couple of breeders in CO and AZ.

Jen is a breeder and belongs to this forum also. Her website is below and you can e-mail her through that site. She is around Colorado Springs and has beautiful dogs.

http://www.canyonlabradors.com/

Duke is outside of Phoenix AZ and owns Quail Chase Labradors. I got to know him when I was looking for my new pups (they are now 9 months old). His contact info in on his web site as well.

http://www.quailchaselabradors.com/

Both of them can walk you through all the health issues and concerns and can help you locate the right puppy for your parents. Good luck and be sure to let us know when you find the pup and post some pictures! We all love pictures.
    Thank you so much for your information - I will take a look and pass it along!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't have puppies, but can put you in touch with the right folks in the Denver lab club. I can also pass along some names and number of folks who listed their litters in the newsletter. Just email me when you have time.