Hello from St. Louis, Missouri

Thread: Hello from St. Louis, Missouri

FoxRed is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from St. Louis, Missouri

After many years of telling our son and daughter we could not have a dog (my daughter has asthma), my wife and I finally relented and laid down a deposit for first pick of a purebred fox-red Lab. There will be 3 litters to pick from and they all will be born in October. Whichever puppy we pick will be available for delivery from Pennsylvania in December.

While both my wife and I had dogs as children, it has been a good 20 years since either of us had a pet. So we are trying to educate ourselves and get back into the mode of "pet owner" before the puppy gets here. Sure, some things never change - give the pup loving, training, etc., but other things such as what constitutes "good food" has changed dramatically. We have soooo much to learn!

Anyway, I'm off to explore this forum and determine where best to ask my questions. The very first question I have I might as well ask here (moderator, please move to where it is appropriate). It is about transporting the pup to St. Louis. The breeder will ship via a commercial airline, but I don't know if that is the best way to go since it will be unaccompanied - easy, of course, I would simply pick it up from the airport - but the best way? I believe some airlines allow pups to be in the passenger area seating, stowed in a carrier under the seat. Has anyone actually done this before, and what was your experience? Just wondering if it is worth it.

Off to explore the forum...hope to chat with you all soon!

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_CHOCO4ME is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hello from St. Louis, Missouri

Welcome! Congrats on your new addition. You will find lots of good info here.

I have 2 friends who have flown with their new pups in carriers with them. I believe that there is a weight limit. Funny, my boy Jakes's brother was one of them. He made it just under the weight limit by ounces..... Check with the airlines to be sure of course. Good Luck! Can't wait to see pics!
    Jake, Blue and Ginger<br />

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I'm from Saint Louis too. Welcome to the forum

I believe most airlines only allow pups under seats if you are accompanying them- but the only way to find out is to call. I've heard good things about Alaska Airlines and some of the smaller ones- and less positive things about American and some of the big ones. I'd be leary about shipping a pup into Lambert because of the incredible delays in baggage handling and baggage loss.If you could ship into one of the smaller airports (perhaps into the Chesterfield airport- the name is escaping me right now- but where a lot of smaller planes go), that may be better.

You do face challenges flying into Saint Louis with heat restrictions. They won't fly animals in cargo above/below certain temperatures.

FYI, before you get told this elsewhere, fox reds are really yellow labs, just different shades. Labs only come in three colors: yellow, black, and chocolate. However, it is a common term to refer to a shade of yellow lab- but some people are fussy about terminology

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janika is offline Member

Hello, I'm in St. Charles, MO! Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family. I know how you feel about getting back into the "pet owner" mode, however its only been 2 yrs for myself! I'm picking up my new Lab puppy this coming Saturday.

I don't know anything about transporting animals via the airlines, but I hope everything goes well for you!

FoxRed is offline Junior Member

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome. I will return often here (daily?) so I can soak it all in.

gabbys mom, thanks for the heads up, but yes I do know that fox-reds are a shade of yellow. We've done a lot research on that and even have the different genetic codes for "true reds" vs "true reds with saddling". There are only a few breeders of these in the US and I think I've spoken to all of them. They have all been very honest and wanted to make sure that I knew what I was buying (i.e. - that fox-reds are really yellows, just so I wouldn't go around saying I had a red lab). Its not that we don't like the other colors, its just that the reds really are appealing to us.

Now to go soak up some more stuff.

Thanks again all!

Jim

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Welcome from WI; great to have you on the board!
    Congrats on your new little one - we can't wait to see pics when he/she gets home!!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

luv4labs is offline Member

Hello from Troy, Illinois. . . I work in St. Louis. Welcome! I can't wait to see pics of the new pup. I was only petless for 6 weeks. I lost my faithful companion of 14 years (Choco lab named Dakota) in March. The time they are with us is much too short. I now have Drake and his puppy ways! I sometimes have to breathe deep and make a mental note. . . patience, patience, patience. He is a great puppy though. He is, like all pups, learning to mind his manners. I don't know anything about transporting, but I do believe I would be worried sick until he was in my arms. Good luck!
    &quot;My sunshine doesn&#39;t come from the skies,<br />It comes from the love in my dog&#39;s eyes.&quot;<br />

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum !