Hi From Delaware!

Thread: Hi From Delaware!

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHi From Delaware!

Hi everyone....I hope I'm doing this correctly, as this is my first post. I stumbled upon this site while surfing the web trying to find training advice on lab pups. My family just added Riley, a 12-week old yellow lab, to our family. Needless to say, mom (me) does 98% of the work such as feeding, separating Riley from the family cat Simba, and poody duty :P .... the good thing about that is that Riley clearly has become my bud over anyone else, so haha, they lose. I'm crate training Riley and I keep hearing how the dog will love to sleep in the crate, but Riley is not showing the love right now. She HATES the crate!!!!! Any tips for spreading the love would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Kathy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hi From Delaware!

Hi Kathy,
    Welcome. Yes you are the winner. Riley will be your companion for life.
    She will get used to the crate. Hang in there.
    When Kassy was a pup I put treats in her crate. I made is soft and cosy and special. I can't remeber what else. Think the same as I did for Ernie.

I adopted Ernie at 3.5 and he had never been in a crate. He hated it.
    I encouraged him to go in with a treat. Let him come out and a few moments later it it again. Every now and then I would close the door and open it again to show him he could come out. It took time and within a few days he would go in and wait for the treat.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Ok, I'm going to keep trying with the crate. She ran so fast from me today when she knew I was getting ready to leave. I have a soft blanket in there for her, her toys, and a kong. Right now, my husband and I are "tag teaming" it so she doesn't have to be in the crate more than 2 hours at any given time, but we just found out that he is getting deployed to Iraq (yikes), so hopefully she will learn to love the crate since she might be spending a bit more time than we had hoped. He leaves in June, and she'll be 6 months old by then, so hopefully she'll be able to hold the piddle for a longer period of time. Great advice on the treats, we'll try that tonight!