Hello from Australia!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Australia!

DefaultHello from Australia!

Hello my name is Trish, I am from Victoria, Australia and I have two labradors...Oscar and Princess.
    Oscar is a 6 month old Boy and Princess is 5 months. Princess came from two Chocolate parents but she is cream and I have found out this is because she had a cream grandma. She has a unique look to her as instead of having a black nose it is a light brown colour and she is not as stocky looking as Oscar she has a light build and her muzzle is more tapered, her ears are shorter than Oscar's. Oscar is very stocky with beautiful soppy eyes and long soft ears and he has huge paws. I was wanting to see if anyone her had a Lab like Princess.... a Cream from Chocolate parents and if they look like her? My husband says she looks like a Dingo (a native Australian dog we have here) but I think it is just because of her unique coloring. It is nice to be among friends and I look forward to becoming a member of your group. :-*Trish. P.S I will post some photos when I can figure out how to!
    Trish,<br />Mummy of Princess and Oscar.<br />Victoria, AUSTRALIA.<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hello from Australia!

Welcome to the forum, Trish! Life must be interesting with two so young and so close in age. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about the adventures of Princess & Oscar!

It is interesting indeed! Oscar was born in the Australian bush and his mum was owned by a lady who saves animals. She has about 33 dogs and many, many, cats, it is alot more than she can probably cope with so she sells some pedigree's that she breeds to make some money to buy food for all the animals. She also has been on the T.V. and some people donate food to her for the dogs and cats.

Oscar was one of 11 and they had a bad case of ringworm when I bought him but I got rid of it in around 3 weeks. As I said it is a bit more than she can handle and I felt sorry for the poor bloke, I found a home for his brother with the local Policemans wife and he is now a cherished family pet. Oscar was discounted from $350 by $100 as I gave her a large cage I had and by $50 as I found a home for her other pup, so he was $200 all up and has brought us alot of joy.

I searched for Princess as I thought I might try breeding them. I wanted to get two close in age so they were ready at the same time and could keep each other company. She was from South Australia 3 hours away and as I said the only cream in a litter of Chocolate pups, her parents were Chocolate and grandma was Cream. I organized to get her at 4 weeks and waited till 6 till the breeders needed her to come home with me.

Oscar and Princess played happily for a week until I noticed a large lump forming on her neck. It turned out to be a Creroma...a sterile fluid filled lump the body forms after a bad knock and in our case it seemed Oscar had played a little rough with Prinny. I had it drained three times but each time it came back a little bigger until we decided to operate. It was the weekend so she stayed under observation until Monday and it could be operated on, reluctantly :'( I left my little gal in their capable hands till monday. When I arrived to pick her up to take her to the vet that was capable of performing the Operation I was told "oh your little one was very vocal". I noticed that she was now unable to bark at all! The op was performed successfully and the vet checked her vocal chords out at the same time and was told they were a little irritated but she would be fine. Drainage tubes were inserted for a week to drain the ceroma and then removed and now she is as right as rain. It was a rocky start and a tricky op to do on a 8 week old pup but she is a little fighter! The only problem is that she has not barked to this day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab addict is offline Senior Member

HI Trish.....hello from another Aussie.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your yellow girl sounds like she is a yellow with no black pigment, which is why she would have a pinky/browny coloured nose and eye rims. This colour is a disqualifying fault in the show ring so reputable breeders would sell a bitch of this colouring on the limited register which means the bitch is not to be bred from. I am a bit shocked that you bought her home at 6 weeks as breeders are not supposed to let puppies go to their new homes until they are 8 weeks old.

The fact that you got your boy from a breeder who has 33 dogs and breeds to make money concerns me, were any health tests done on the parents of both your pups?
    Might be a good idea to desex both your pups.

Hello...I was not thinking of showing my little princess and it does not bother me ablout her lack of pigment as she is still a little sweetie. My pups have been thoroughly checked by my Veteranarian and are in top condition. I think the breeders I got Princess from knew alot about Labs but I am not farmilliar with a "limited register"? I have also heard that the pups aren't supposed to go till 8 weeks and it was difficult for all of us as they missed their mummies alot but both breeders insisted on them going early and I was not aware they shouldn't go that early at the time. My puppies are beautiful and I am intending on letting them have puppies if this occurs I don't see any reason for desexing? I don't condone the conditions in wich I recieved my pups but it was better for them to go to a nice home which I can provide for them and bring them up in a healthy environment. Thankyou for your input...Trish.

Introducing Oscar......

...and Princess!

I think it is great that you have your pups and are providing a great home for them but why do you want to breed two, I am assuming unregistered dogs, one of which should not be bred from? Are you familliar with the breed standard and all the health testing that is required before breeding?

I have had my Labs health tested and they are in perfect health 8) and the so called lack of pigmentaion is only a visual factor that will not bother anyone wanting a beautiful family pet. ;D They are beautiful by MY standards! olice: My dogs are not show dogs and I will not be breeding them as such so I don't see a problem.* ??? :

https://www.justlabradors.com/wrapper/

* *What is a Dudley?
    * * *This is a yellow Labrador with chocolate pigmentation (eebb). It
    * * *can also refer to a Lab with absolutely no pigmentation on the nose
    * * *or eyerims (all pink in color), but in actuality, this is extremely
    * * *rare, and probably a genetic abnormality. Please be aware that,
    * * *while this trait is considered undesirable, it does not indicate
    * * *some sort of genetic abnormality. There is no known correlation
    * * *between Dudley noses and poor health.

By health testing I mean hip/elbow xrays, eye certification and optigen testing, are you planning to do all of these?

They are beautiful by MY standards! My dogs are not show dogs and I will not be breeding them as such so I don't see a problem.
    The problem is that breeding stock is supposed to meet certain breed standards, that way we can keeping Labradors actually looking like Labradors, people who breed with no regard for the standard are doing the breed a dissservice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast