Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one autistic

Thread: Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one autistic

M1Tommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultIntro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one autistic

Hello to the forum. I'm Tommy, a guy who is trying to learn about breeds. We are looking and considering a dog for a new family companion. Nowadays, we're in "learning mode" and have (sort of) narrowed our breed choices to either Lab. Retrievers or German Shepherd Dogs (GSD). I was referred to this forum from a GSD adn Lab. owner.

We have a (not-so-)-typical nuclear family, usually-home wife who loves the GSD's and the not-to-goofy retrievers that she's been around, a 10 year old boy who is... a pretty typical boy, a 7 year old son who is low-functioning autistic, and me....just a guy, with a big yard, but doggie would be an inside critter. How think you? Is a Lab. good for us? I don't want a slug-dog, but one with a bit of life and some wheels turning between the ears, not to o"clingy". Watchful is good, clingy ain't. Due to our younger son's issues, temperment is very important to us.

Whatever, we end up with, I'd definately "work" with him as to obedience training and socialization. He'd be a family-companion, not an "occasional toy".* *Honestly, I'm leaning a bit towards the GSD breed, as they seem no not be as active-all-the-time, although I know that each dog is individual.* And while a rescue is not "out", we're really not to inclined, as temperment is so important.* We'll likely look for a young adult, whatever breed we decide upon.*

As aside, I've read "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend", and "Art of Raising a Puppy", both written by the Monks of New Skete. I found them good reads, and seem to be sound.

'probably more than y'all wanted to know!
    Tommy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one autistic

Did I say something wrong? ???
    Tommy

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one auti

Tommy:

You may want to cross post this under Lab Chat. It gets alot more traffic than the intro section and you can get some advice from experts. The only thing I can say is that we have had our Maggie since Jan and she is now 9 months old. She is a hyper little puppy still and labs will stay hyper or puppy like until the age of 2 give or take a little. But please post in lab chat, that way people with more expereince can help you.

Good Luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one auti

Quote Originally Posted by maggiesparents
    Tommy:

You may want to cross post this under Lab Chat.* ............
    Good Luck
    Yes, I've done that, and have a thread of the same title, there.
    Thanks,
    Tommy

hmm I couldn't find the thread in Lab Chat...may want to post it again just in case.

hmm I couldn't find the thread in Lab Chat...may want to post it again just in case.
    Do you mean on this forum?

http://lab-retriever.net/board/showthread.php?t=73681

Tommy

Oh...no I was talking on this forum. In the next topic heading under Introductions is Lab Chat. I would put your message there bc it gets more traffic than this section.

DefaultRe: Intro. from central Arkansas, looking for family companion, 2 boys, one autistic

Ahh! I see! Thanks,
    Tommy