HI - I am new

Thread: HI - I am new

Lovemylabs is offline Member

DefaultHI - I am new

Hello all. I am a newbie. Joined over the weekend and have been reading (whenever I have a chance ) all the wonderful posts full of information. I never knew there was this much to learn about the lab! A little about me:
    I am a mom of two wonderful, beautufil boys (kids), Luke and Oscar. I am an apprentice midwife, chirldbirth instructor, and Certified Lactation Consultant. My dh is a lawyer - he is a wonderful husband and dad. We live in Detroit, Michigan. We had a beautiful, loving black lab named Raven. She was hit by a car and killed on June 20th. It was devastating. We cried everyday for two weeks straight. I felt like I was having anxiety attacks becuase the emptiness and sadness was so deep - - - It was also the week of Luke's 3rd birthday. . Raven was just 7 years old and we figured she would be with us for a long time to come. She was in perfect health, perfect condition, very athletic, and just beautiful. Anyway - we are coming out of the shock of it all. We have been talking about getting new puppy. When my husband first suggested it, I thought "No way!". I miss Raven so much but did not want to take on the extra responsbility since we have two young kids. I have since changed my mind. We are used to caring for our animals and our kids in whatever capacity is needed. We know we can do it - We know that the benefits of having this wonderful breed completely out weights any cons to having a new pup on board. My son Luke used to play with Raven everyday. He helped feed her, brush her, chase her around the yard etc. He is a very gentle soul.. . .My dh used to hunt with Raven in the fall. He was so looking forward to going out in the woods with her come this hunting season. Because our 2nd son was born last November, he only took Raven out once for hunting promissing her that this year they would get out more. . . At least we know she is happing retriving over Rainbow Bridge. . . :'(
    So consequently, I have been researching - looking for the right breeder and biding our time before we have our new pup here. We hope to find a black male - to fit the bill.

Well that is all I have for now. I will be around reading and maybe even asking some questions. I love looking at all of your pictures and hope to add some of my own some day. (I will add some of Raven soon - unfortunately most of our best shots were not with my digital camera )

Take care,
    Karen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HI - I am new

Welcome to the forum Karen, and I'm so sorry for your recent loss.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hello and Welcome Karen!!

So sorry to hear about your dear Raven... she sounds like the perfect lab to me!

I agree you need to get another lab ;D

One of our members, Labby, is a breeder in Michigan. She would be an excellent resource for finding a breeder in your area and she has tons of wonderful information and resources on her website.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html

Good luck with your search!

Lindsay
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Karen! I am so sorry for your families loss...Raven sounded like one special doggy. Good luck with your search for a puppy when you feel the time is right. We are always here if you need someone to talk to.

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

Sheila is offline Senior Member

Hi Karen and Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for your loss. :-[

Best of luck in your search for a new puppy.
    <br />Beau &amp; Nikko

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Bump (good threads only)
    ~Lindsay

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~