A reintroduction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reintroduction

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultA reintroduction

Call me Lab Dad.* I have been hanging around the JL forum since in looked like a high school outline- back when it was a message board.* I write Lab Dad stories- stories about the Labs that have been in my life.* Currently the series is entitled Labradork and mostly involve the saga of One -Eyed Jack.* Though I have had dogs in my life since I was a child way back in the mists of time, I wanted to get a pure bred dog.* We started researching breeds back in 1997 and after a lot of reading decided Labrador retrievers were the breed for us.

We did not want to get a puppy and after* more research found the Lake Erie Labrador Retriever Rescue and in July 1998 adopted Red, an older Lab maybe 9-or 10 years old.* He had been picked up as a sick stray and nursed back to health by the LERR.* Red was my soul dog.* Just a remarkable old fellow whose company I still miss very much. He earned his CGC in 2000. If one could ask what he was Red would probably have said "Retired."* He died September 2001.* There is nothing, absolutely nothing like the love of an old dog.* The memories of that kind of kinship is worth every ache when they cross the bridge.

Red

In January 1999 we decided to get Red a companion and went to an LERR open house in search of a five or six year old yellow male.* A black Lab female waddled up to Wife, leaned up against her and slide down onto her back for a belly rub and we welcomed Misty, a four year old* owner surrendered* Lab into our life.* She was more of a cuddler.* She earned her CGC in 2000. Did not retrieve but she did like to take stuff away from Red and any other dog that just happened to be around.* She is what we called a Labradorable receiver.* In 2002 she was diagnosed with Cushing's.* She had a tumor on her pituitary gland in her brain.* She died from complications in January 2005.* Cushing's is a very stealthy disease.* It shares many symptoms with other diseases. Misty was a real sweetheart.

Misty

After Red died in 2001 we went looking for another Lab.* LERR asked for us to take a look at a young, large yellow Lab that was being held by Animal Control.* He was big, friendly and had an eye injury, maybe three or four years old.* We decided to adopt him and since he had little sight in one eye named him "One Eyed Jack.* LabMed funded his surgery but after six months glaucoma set in and the eye was removed in 2002.* Jack retrieves lots of things on command and helps by fetching cans of green beans for his dinner.* He enjoys playing ball and swimming. He is working toward CGC and TDI certification.* We hope he can be an inspiration to kids with eye problems.

Jack

Petfinder is a great place to look for rescue groups and dogs in need of adoption.* Wife saw a black Lab female that was available through a rescue group and we went to see her.* As soon as the Lab saw Wife, she pulled the handler over to Wife and sat down in front of her.* That was all it took.* We brought Baby Girl home in January 2005.* She was about 6 years old.* She has no interest in toys, enjoys cuddling and is a real Labradorable. She is going through advanced basic.

Baby Girl

I moved from Iowa to Tidewater Virginia in February 2005.* I had to leave Wife and the furkids behind until October 2005.* It was a long difficult time.* When I packed the truck, Jack thought he was coming too and put one of his favorite balls in the truck.* He climbed into the cab and refused to come out.* I had to drag him out.* When I stopped for the night and opened the side door, the ball dropped out.* I was very happy to have everybody back together.

I mostly lurk, reply to the posts that move me to write, try to learn from other people's experiences and share what little I know of this wonderful breed of dog we call the Labrador retriever.

Lab Dad and Jack the Lapador retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TroopersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A reintroduction

Nice pics of all of the Labs! They are all adorable!
    ~Laura and Trooper&nbsp;&nbsp; Edgewater, MD<br /><br /><br /><br />

mercedez is offline Senior Member

Well welcome again! Beautiful dogs. I too found one of my dogs on petfinder.com. Best resource to find a best friend!
    Laura<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

clancey canuck Guest

Love your posts. You provide such inspiration to go the rescues.

Sheila is offline Senior Member

Hello...

What a wonderful post. Your dogs are truly beautiful.

Thanks for sharing their stories.
    <br />Beau &amp; Nikko

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Awww... Thank's for the 'refresher'.

This is the first time I have seen a picture of Red. Oh my, he was absolutely gorgeous and his expression so warm and wonderful! There is just something about an old Lab that melts the heart.

I do remember Misty; and Jack and Baby Girl.

Thanks for letting us 'see' them again. ;D

*pssstt... I always read threads started by Lab Dad, 'cause they are always really good and there's not enough of them.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Bump (good threads only)
    ~Lindsay

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

pat
    pat is offline Senior Member

Good to see ya back, Andy.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Very beautiful labs! They are all adorable. ( BTW A dog in our neighbourhood was just diagnosed with Cushing's. )
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast