Just Labradors banner

New Mom from East Texas!

942 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KMA24 
#1 ·
Hey guys!!

I am fixing to be the proud mother of a beautiful yellow lab puppy that me and my fiance have named, Bella Gentry.

She will be 5 weeks old tomorrow!

Me and my fiance, Brandon, have never had a dog- we are cat people. So naturally, we have been reading and preparing since we found out my best girlfriend's dog was pregnant.

I have so many questions!! I don't ever know where to start!! The books have been ever so helpful but I just need more input from Lab owners!!

Question #1: Every book I have read says that Bella should come home at 8 weeks- We are suppose to be getting her at 6 weeks. Is this to soon or should I truly push for her to stay at home with Mom for a couple more weeks?? We live 1/2 a block from Bella's mom so even if we do get her early, Mom is very close by along with her 7 siblings.

#2: Can I take her to my vet to get her vaccinations and first check up at 6 weeks, or should I let her current owner take care of this?? I prefer my puppy be seen by my Vet. I don't know really how to word this- Since I am the one paying for her, I should be able to take her to the Vet and make sure she checks out right?

#3- We are cat people. I read its better to let the cats get to know the dog and not vice versa. Has anyone dealt with this? How did it go?!

#4- My fiance and I (nurse and paramedic) work the night shifts- Is this difficult for a puppy/dog to adjust too when her parents are night people and not out in the daylight??

Thanks guys so much!! I am so excited about being a first time Mommy!!

Brandi

See less See more
#2 ·
hi Brandi

welcome to the forum

I really suggest you re-post everything you have written into Lab Chat. That area of the board is frequented more often by alot of knowledgable people who can really help out with your questions

cheers
Sarah

#5 ·
Hi! I am brand new here as well, and the proud new mommy to a beautiful 9 week old yellow Lab named Crush. Just brought him home on Tuesday! I am by no means an expert, but I just thought I would share that my experience with very young puppies (like 6 weeks) has not been very good. In fact, 1 year ago we brought home a 6 week old black Lab pup and he passed away 8 weeks later. He had liver failure. Although it probably had nothing to do with his age, I regret that he did not have a few more weeks to nurse from his mom--maybe he needed that extra time and nourishment.
Good luck with your new pup! Love the name you have chosen!
Brooke

#6 ·
Welcome and congrats. I can answer for #1 from my experience. I would say it's ok to pick here up at 6 weeks, but 8 is probably more ideal from a socialization perspective. If you spend a great deal of time with her at 6 weeks, you'll be ok. I picked up my second dog (Doc) at 6 weeks and aside from his inherent nuttiness, he's just fine. Hope this helps.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm Kristen Abreu. My godmother is a long time Lab lover and she introduced me to the breed. I now have a 1 1/2 year old yellow girl -- Linnea. I've shown her off and on -- more off than on, and she has a few singles. She's pretty enough, but I really need to make the effort to get her out there. For the past 10 years, I've made it a point to learn about the breed, pedigrees, lines, etc. I own four Conformation champions. Three of them were bred by me.
I'm new to this forum. I find it to be friendly and informative.
I like conformation, but I also enjoy Rally and Agility and have titled dogs in those venues as well. I want to learn more about Obedience now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.