Greetings from Maryland
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Maryland

cosmosmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultGreetings from Maryland

Hello:

My name is Michelle and I live in Maryland. I'm mom to 2 human children, Nicole who is 4 and Steven who turns 21 on Saturday. Our newest addition is Cosmo who is 7.5 weeks old. We got him on Saturday and I took a week "maternity" leave to help him get adjusted to his new life. I've attached a pic of him and Nicole.

He's very active, getting into everything he's not supposed to! I'm crate training him and while he won't go in the crate by himself, once I put him in, he does really well. I've been putting him throughout the day while I'm home to see/hear his reaction and he's doing great. He sleeps in his crate at night and sleeps about 4 hours before he starts crying to go out to pee/poop.

I am having a problem though with diarrhea. It started Sunday and I took him to the vet on Monday. His fecal sample came out negative for parasites but she suggested to deworm him again. I've put him on a diet of chicken and rice and feed him small meals throughout the day. Yesterday his poops were better but as the day progressed they turned bright yellow and last night at 2 am, the diarrhea started again. He hasn't pooped yet today and I'm waiting to see what he does before I call the vet again. He's getting plenty of water and is peeing regularly. He's extremely active, his belly isn't bloated so I'm a bit confused as to why this started again.

I'm happy to have found this board and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michelle

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jakeysmom Guest

DefaultRe: Greetings from Maryland

Welcome!!! I am also from MD. We live in Baltimore, how about you?

luvmykodi is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!!
    <br >~Stephanie~<br />AKA Princess Pee Pees

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cosmosmom is offline Junior Member

I live up in Harford County in Abingdon. I work in Baltimore (and I'm not missing the commute this week!).

Thanks for the welcome.

Michelle

jakeysmom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cosmosmom
    I live up in Harford County in Abingdon.* I work in Baltimore (and I'm not missing the commute this week!).

Thanks for the welcome.

Michelle

LOL!!!! It can be a pain. And don't worry about the Cosmo not going in the crate at first. We had to bribe/force Jake into the crate for the first month. He is now 8 months and goes in it all on his free will to sleep or relax. Something that we did was tap the top of the crate (we have a wire one) everytime we told Jake to go in it. Now all we have to do is tap it and he will run in!!!

Sheila is offline Senior Member

Hello and Welcome

Cosmo is adorable ;D
    <br />Beau &amp; Nikko

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hello and Welcome Michelle!!!

I'll get straight to it. I can soooo feel your pain about the diarhea thing. Ender was having loose stool for since well just about ever since we got him... I did stool sample after stool sample... switched foods... tried the bland diet thing... etc. etc.

Finally I just got so fed up that I called the vet one morning and said .. "Ok... I'm bringing in a stool sample... I want you to run every test you can possibly do on it.. and if it come back negative for everything I want bloodwork done because SOMETHING is AMISS!!!"

So... in addition to the regular test they also did a giardia test and another one. Lo and behold, my baby had Giardia... who knows how long?! It's a fairly common parasite and usually dogs develop an immunity to it when they are older. The most common effects are loose stool which usually also happens to smell PARTICULARLY bad/rancid.

If I were you, I'd do another stool sample and specifically ask for that test.... especially if his loose stool is pretty stinky.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information.
    ~Lindsay

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

HI there and Welcome to the forum from New Zealand
    you have a gorgeous puppy!
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Welcome. We're across the dam in Fair Hill in Cecil county.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Welcome from a fellow Marylander
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast