Brand New Here - is my family ready for a dog?

Thread: Brand New Here - is my family ready for a dog?

Kaydles is offline Member

DefaultBrand New Here - is my family ready for a dog?

Hi All-

I just discovered this forum.* I'm a mom of 3 (human* ) kids - 8 yr old girl / 5 year old boy / 19 month old girl.* As I was in baby-bearing mode for the past few years, the mere thought of adding a dog to our family was inconceivable.* However, as my two oldest are now taking on more responsibility around the house and my youngest is getting more and more independent, I am starting to consider it.* I've wanted a dog ever since dh and I got married almost 13 years ago but we never did get one (we lived in apartments and when we finally bought a house, we already had a baby).

Of course, based on my joining this forum, I've pretty much always expected to get a lab.* But...I'm just now beginning my research.* My dh doesn't even know I'm thinking about it (he'll probably freak when I tell him) so I just want to make sure it's the right time for our family and do all the research, etc. etc.

I'm a stay-at-home mom so I completely understand that most of the responsibility for caring for the dog will be upon me and I'm definitely okay with that.

Here's why I'm considering it:

-My dh works very late hours and he's gone every other weekend;* I'd love the extra eyes and ears during the late hours of the night (I did read that while labs don't make good guard dogs, they will sound "alarm" barks which is all I need)

-I'd love a jogging companion

-I think the added responsibility and additional family member would be great for my kids and of course, my kids would absolutely LOVE it - my oldest is constantly reminding me that she can't answer any homework questions about pets because she doesn't have any.* I grew up with dogs so I know what a joy they are and I want my kids to experience it too.

We live in a decent sized home with a pool in our backyard.* With our pool, there isn't much grass or yard left though but there is some.

So...what do you think?* Also, would your recommend a puppy or a full grown?*

Thanks so much for your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Brand New Here - is my family ready for a dog?

Hello and Welcome to the forum!!!

Major props to you for researching and finding out all you can before making your decision. Just a tip though, you might want to post this in LabChat or Puppy Training forum where a lot more people will see it and respond. I'm by no means an expert... Eric and I don't have kids... just the Ender Bender furbaby but just two thoughts I had reading your post...

19 month old... labs get pretty big and you're going to need to take extra care to make sure your littlest one (and the other children) are above the new dog in the pack order. As a puppy, you'll have to really watch the interaction between these two... that being said, the people on this board can give you a lot more tips on this than I can... I'm sure it's doable but also want to make sure that when you find your breeder to get the puppy from (IF you get a puppy)... makes sure you disclose the ages of your children and the temperment needed, they will have a better idea of which pup is best for you.

Jogging... labs being a large breed dog really can't be jogged/ran with until 2 years old. They can "free" run but a forced pace on leash is not good for them and their joints as they are growing. So, perhaps an adult dog is right for you if jogging right away is important to you.

One more thing... the "Our Best Advice" thread has a lot of good info in it and may help you get an idea of all the ins and outs of getting a lab puppy. You can find it in the Puppy section of this board.

Well... again... Hello and Welcome!!! Look forward to seeing you more on the board. If you decide to get a lab we will probably start demanding pictures... you are forwarned
    ~Lindsay

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum! It is so exciting to think about bringing home a lab, but it is wonderful that you are taking the time to do the proper research. Depending on your needs, bringing home a pup or an adult dog are very rewarding. Pups are much more time consuming, and need tons of your time and attention. Older labs still need time and attention, but many that come from lab rescue are already housebroken and housetrained, so most of your time will be spent on helping them adapt to your home environment, behavioral problems, socialization, etc. However, with children to take care of that may be a good option for your family. We rescued Jaida and she has become a lifetime companion to us...we just love her to death! Now that we have more time we are adopting a puppy. So it really depends on your own circumstances.

Good luck, and as Lindsay said, be sure and post in Lab Cat since it gets substantially more traffic than this part of the forum.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much for your replies! I spent lots of time into the wee hours of the morning researching and looking at breeder websites and rescue places.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and I'm trying to fight the urge to go to the local animal shelter - I don't want to fall in love with a dog before I'm fully prepared!

I'll post in the puppy section as you suggested.

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

Hi welcome to the forum.

<br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

luvmykodi is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!!
    <br >~Stephanie~<br />AKA Princess Pee Pees

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

Hello!! Just had to reply to this post since I joined just a few days after you did. I too have been searching the internet into the wee hours. At first I was researching breeders and any info I could find. Now, I'm still devouring websites like this, but I also look at millions of websites just to look at the pictures of other people's Labs. They are just so gosh darn adorable!! Now that we have decided on a breeder and gone to meet her and her dogs, I am impatient. The puppies aren't even due until July 3, then we have to wait seven or eight weeks after that. This puppy will be our daughter's seventh birthday present (she has no idea). Just tonight, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her snuggling our neighbor's Brittany Spaniel. She loves dogs. My big decision now is whether to get a male or female (still undecided at the moment).
    I wish you luck in your search. I would love to hear what you decide (puppy or grown). Deb

LOL...Hi Deb...wow I've come a long way since I first posted! If you follow all of my threads from the last couple of weeks, I've learned SO MUCH. It is hard to wait for the puppy but it is sure worth it! Especially if you and your family are prepared! I'm actually just about to write a post about our new puppy we just brought home a couple of days ago! I can't wait to hear about your new pup's homecoming! Welcome to the forum.

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

WOW....momentarily speechless....I don't know what struck me more - how sweet your puppy looks, or the great layout for her picture. Very impressive. I checked out your website - very talented. Congrats on your new member of the family!! Deb (getting more anxious every day. My neighbor knows how anxious I am and asked today if I would like her to ride up to visit the mom to be...again).

Tundra Aries Guest

Welcome from NY!