Labrador lover - Just not a proud owner yet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador lover - Just not a proud owner yet

Casseau is offline Member

DefaultLabrador lover - Just not a proud owner yet

Hi,

My name is Donn and I have always wanted to own a Labrador, probably for the past 15 years. I just thought that I would join this network now, despite not knowing when I will own my first Lab. I'll have my own place at the end of next March, however part of my mission is convincing my wife to get one I can see her point however, this new place is a series of Townhomes that are being built and actual propert is pretty limited. I have always wanted a yellow Lab, but I seem to be slowly falling in love with Black labs too!

Despite that I can't help wanting to finalllllllllllly get my first Labrador puppy. Does anyone have suggestions on books or online material I can read in an effort to prepare myself for my last Lab? In regards to training and what to expect as far as behavior goes. I have read some, but the more one knows can't hurt.

Well there you go, that is who I am and a Lab is what I want*

Oh and I am writing from Victoria, British Columbia Canada

Thanks
    Donn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labrador lover - Just not a proud owner yet

Welcome to the forum this is a great site for new comers to the breed and there is a lot of great information on training and puppy problems. As far as books I would check out "Marley and Me" luckily labs are not all as crazy as Marley but they can be so be ready. Do some research on breeders it can take a year or more to get a puppy from a good breeder sometimes.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hello and Welcome!!! ;D

I was on this site a full year before getting my pup so I can feel where you are coming from. I'm not sure about labby books but the best book I have read and I highly recommend is the Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell... just a great book about understanding dogs.

As for the townhouse thing... Eric and I live in a condo with our pup Ender... and it has MULCH for a yard *sigh*. He is able to get plenty of exercise because we make it a point to walk him and do retrieves everyday in a park nearby. The best exercise he gets is on the weekends when we go down to the lake and he gets in a good solid 30-45 min of swimming. During the week, especially when we both know we are going to be pretty busy, he gets to go to Doggy Day Care... which he LOVES... and we love because he gets to play with other dogs all day long and comes home exhausted!
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks,

So it wasn't too much of an issue getting it 'potty' trained while living in a condo? With a lack of yard I can only assume that you have to take it for a walk, any time it needs to "go" ?

Did you get your dog from a breeder? I was wondering if it would be a huge problems for them if I didn't have a decentlly sized fenced in backyard. However If I was to get one I would be in my elderly years as real estate in Victoria is insane.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casseau
    Thanks,

So it wasn't too much of an issue getting it 'potty' trained while living in a condo? With a lack of yard I can only assume that you have to take it for a walk, any time it needs to "go" ?

Did you get your dog from a breeder? I was wondering if it would be a huge problems for them if I didn't have a decentlly sized fenced in backyard. However If I was to get one I would be in my elderly years as real estate in Victoria is insane.

Thanks
    Potty training... we used the bell method... and Ender caught on SUPER fast. We only had a couple of accidents in the house when we weren't paying close enough attention to him. The door with the bells is actually about 20 feet from the door we exit the building with (he had a few accidents in that hallway but it was tile so easy clean up)... and actually he pees right on the mulch... he even poops on the mulch first thing in the morning when we are just taking him out to potty, not for a walk.

Breeder... yes we got Ender from a breeder. She is a family friend though and knew me from 5 years ago when my mother got a lab from her. I think as long as you show the breeder your commitment for providing the best home possible for their puppy, you can overcome things such as lack of a yard... I'd be prepared for lots of "how will you exercise your puppy" questions and the like.

For us, we are very lucky to have a very nice park nearby with lots of greenspace to take Ender to and play retrieve. Some people wouldn't expose their dogs to anything outside their own yard before the last set of shots but I would rather take a slight risk (limited exposure after 2nd shots) and have a well socialized dog... than to keep him under lock and key and never see a new person/dog until over 4 months old.

That being said... I would never take a young puppy to a dog park and any dogs he did play with, I would make sure are vaccinated. If you have friends and family in your area with dogs, perhaps you can "play it safe" and just introduce a puppy to them before the last shots.

I kind of went off on a tangent here... but I think these were the main concerns I had in our situation. Doggy day care was an excellent socialization opportunity for Ender as well... and it is relatively safe since all dogs have been vaccinated and have been evaluated on their behavior and interaction with other dogs.
    ~Lindsay

clancey canuck Guest

Welcome from Barrie Ontario

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, from sunny AZ!!! 8) Jaida lives with us in a condo with a small fenced yard. While she has a dog door, she didn't always, and was very easy to houstrain. The need for a lot of property in order to own a dog such as a lab is a MYTH...as long as you exercise your pal regularly and sufficiently you will have one good apartment/townhouse/condo dog on your hands.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

Thanks for all the info,

Now who wants to convince my significant other that it really is a myth.

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but what exactly is the door bell method. A bell at the main door that lets you know he needs to go? I am sure it is very simple, I just hadn't heard of that term previously.

http://www.poochie-pets.net/

These are "designer" ones but you can buy bells, sleigh bells or whatever, and hang them using whatever you want.
    ~Lindsay

Ah I see, so he/she basically jumps or moves it to let you it's "time"

My other worry will be to try and minimize time on it's own as my wife and I both work. However we don't work the same hours so the more overlap the better as far as being home with the puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast