Aging Black Lab

Thread: Aging Black Lab

inspiremebykimmie@aol.com is offline Junior Member

DefaultAging Black Lab

Hi, I'm Kimmie and my girl's name is KoKonut. She is fixing to turn 11 on Nov. 13. This is the first time I've ever owned a lab. My husband always had labs before we got married and now is completely in love with Great Danes, we currently have 2 dane puppies almost a year and half old, Tarr and Boris, both black with white markings.
    It's difficult to see her aging, lately she doesn't even care about the ball when she once was just obsessed and would actually throw the ball to you for you to kick it, she now just walks right past a ball. Her appetite is just as big as it has always been and I seriously doubt that'll ever change, she has always been obsessed with food. When she tries to run after something she only lasts a few seconds and its really slow and she just walks very slow. She mostly is just laying around sleeping. The boys are pretty rambunctious and we are constantly calling them away from her. They don't know they're that big, they pretty much tower over her now at 150 lbs. and still growing, and are constantly playing together, great danes kinda sound pretty rough and scary when playing. When we first got the boys at 6 wks old, she was very irritated by them and didn't want anything to do with them, but then eventually started warming up to them and even tried to do a little playing until she realized she's old and just can't quite hang with them so now she just keeps her distance and stays out of their way when we're out in the yard.

I know it's just a part of the aging process but I'm not doing so well with accepting my age either so I'm right there with her!

We lost our great dane Oscar baby this time last year and we got him and her at 6 wks old at the same time, so they grew up with each other and were best buddies, she was very depressed when he died and hasn't really been the same since.
    I often wonder just how long she will be around, I just love her madly.

I wanted to upload a few pics but it won't allow me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ScoutsMom18 is offline Junior Member

Hi Kimmie,
    It's tough watching your little puppy grow old. My old man (English Black Lab named Tank) passed on a couple months ago, and although I had been steeling myself for it there was no stopping the raw emotion that I felt and still feel. As far as your dog getting older, just one recommendation: are you suing any glucosamine supplements? Labs are prone to hip dysplacia, and it affects them more and more as they get older. We got my pup glucosamine cookies (we call them Glookies) and fed them to him every morning and evening as a treat and noticed a marked difference in his fatigue and movement. It's worth trying. Keep your head up about your dog, I guarantee she still worships the ground you and your husband walk on because you have given her the best life she could ever imagine, and that is something to be proud of.

inspiremebykimmie@aol.com is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutsMom18 View Post
    Hi Kimmie,
    It's tough watching your little puppy grow old. My old man (English Black Lab named Tank) passed on a couple months ago, and although I had been steeling myself for it there was no stopping the raw emotion that I felt and still feel. As far as your dog getting older, just one recommendation: are you suing any glucosamine supplements? Labs are prone to hip dysplacia, and it affects them more and more as they get older. We got my pup glucosamine cookies (we call them Glookies) and fed them to him every morning and evening as a treat and noticed a marked difference in his fatigue and movement. It's worth trying. Keep your head up about your dog, I guarantee she still worships the ground you and your husband walk on because you have given her the best life she could ever imagine, and that is something to be proud of.
    She's had arthritis since she was still a puppy and they had told me to start giving her these glucosamine chews called Phycox. Of course she's not one to turn anything away that looks like food so never a problem with giving her supplements. I would say that they help but not all the way. I also give her tramadol for severe pain whenever it really flares up. Besides the arthritis, she's been very healthy with the exception of allergies and the shot they give for that is wonderful and lasts for at least a couple months, no itching! She's still able to jump up into the vehicle when time to go to the vet, but it's not too far off the ground.

Yeah, I guess its just one of those things you have to go through when owning a pet. She's always given us such joy! And I'm thinking I'll be having to get another dog BEFORE her time is up just to get through it a little easier.

Thanks for your feedback!