First time visit, Atrophy

Thread: First time visit, Atrophy

Ledzepp is offline Junior Member

DefaultFirst time visit, Atrophy

Hi everyone,

My Chocolate Lab/retriever Cooper is about 13-14 yrs old. He has lost a lot of muscle in his hind legs. Our vet said it was atrophy, he has put him currently on a combination prescription for pain and inflammation. He's suggested 10 minutes twice a day for light exercise. Then slowly exercise him up and down hills. To try and help build his muscle back up.

The research I have been doing so far has led me to several things, such as physical therapy, All-Natural Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs - With Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Organic Turmeric. Will start taking him down to the lake to tread water and for zero impact on his joints. Last but not least a muscle building supplement.

If there is anyone that has or is experiencing this issue with there dog please share what your doing and how the out come is going. PLEASE HELP.

My Cooper is a wonderful, loving and very verbal fur baby. I want to do everything in my power to help and keep him around as long as possible.

Thanks
    Beth

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilika is offline Member

You can try swimming and the underwater treadmill. At 13-14 I wouldn't expect something big, just take it one day at a time. Yes, you can try all these supplements, slow, gentle and short walks throughout the day, and sit-stand up exercises. You can use a harness to support his rear end too.