Help! Black Lab with Spondylosis

Thread: Help! Black Lab with Spondylosis

VirGuz is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! Black Lab with Spondylosis

I have a female black lab who I adopted almost 4 years ago. We were told she was around a year old. After watching her deteriorate since we’ve had her and the vets opinion, she was actually around 6 when we got her. She was diagnosed with Spondylosis in the first year and has noticeable muscle atrophy in the rear legs and hips. She has also had a low red blood cell count with no explanation as well. She now has bridging in her entire lower spine. She is super sweet and laid back. She’s had episodes of pain and weakness off and on that cause her to cry out terribly and not be able to or want to get up. She has been on many medications to help. Recently she became slightly urine incontinant. No infection present. She does zone out quite a bit, like she’s not even there. Not sure what we can do for her to stop this. I am on pins and needles waiting for the next episode. It’s hard seeing her that way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilika is offline Member

Before I say anything else, I have to point out that I have a dog who was diagnosed with spondylosis, hip displasia and elbow displasia, was hit by a car when he was 9, suffered a complete hip luxation which required surgery and is still walking for 3 miles a day now at 12 years old.

If you want to keep your dog mobile you have to do something ASAP.

1. Put the dog on a good joint supplement (glucosamine and chondroitine and if it has something antiinflamatory like devil's claw then it's even better)
    2. Give your dog turmeric paste (you can google how to make it, there are plenty of videos on youtube)
    3. Switch your dog to a carb-free homemade diet. I'd feed mainly meat for the protein to feed the muscles and some veggies and fruits. Carbs cause inflammation, and arthritis is inflammation
    4. Physical therapy. My dog was helped immensely by it. Electricity, laser, magnet will help with the pain. Hydrotherapy and exercises will help with the range of motion and building the muscles back.
    5. You can add other antiinflamatory supplements like: fish oil, vitamin C, vitamin E.
    6. Exercise. I can't stress enough how regular mild exercise is important for an arthritic dog. It helps lubricate the joints and keeps them fit and mobile.
    7. If your dog is overweight, she should definitely lose weight. The extra burden is unnecessary stress for the joints.

Good luck.