Hello!

Thread: Hello!

lgaines81 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello!

My name is Lisa and I am a proud mom to Koda, a 5 month old white/yellow lab. I've had a black lab and a brown lab previously and am in love with the breed. But I adopted my two previous dogs at around 2 years old, so this is my first experience with a lab puppy and I'm looking forward to getting advice and insights from others with more experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gcocco62@gmail.com is offline Junior Member

I have a 3 year old white Labrador Retriever and for about the last couple of weeks he has been licking his front paws constantly I've tried giving him Apoqel and it seemed to help him at first but then he went right back to licking again. I've just started him back on the Merrick limited ingredient Duck and sweet potato, or limited ingredient Lamb or the Venison with the sweet potatoes thinking possibly it could be food allergies. So need any suggestions you could give me on finding the solution to alleviate this problem. Thanks for your time, Gina

lgaines81 is offline Junior Member

Hi Gina,

I apologize for my tardiness in responding, I've been out of town a lot the past month.

Koda actually started exhibiting symptoms of itchy skin/ears and biting his paws, and our vet put him on a hydrolyzed protein diet. She suspects that his allergy is his system attacking the protein in his food as a foreign body. Oddly enough, she says it's most common in the lighter-colored retriever breeds. Hydrolyzed protein is broken down to such a degree that the dog's immune system won't react to it.

It's pretty darn expensive, but he loves the food. He seems to be improving a bit, but it's still early on in our trial run. It may be worth asking your vet about.