13 week old chocolate lab (And is biting normal?)

Thread: 13 week old chocolate lab (And is biting normal?)

puppyinthehouse is offline Junior Member

Default13 week old chocolate lab (And is biting normal?)

Hi, I am new here. I have a 13-week old chocolate lab female. She bites me hard, lunging and jumping. She can break skin! I do play bite correction and she immediately goes to dig into my skin after. I started taking her to a dog training school ALL day most days where the focus is potty-training, and I also told them to work on the biting. Plus there are other puppies so she gets that socialization. I heard they learn a lot about biting from litter-mates. What more can one do???!
    Also, we have small kids and she will basically attack the smaller ones.

As for potty, she stays in the crate all night perfectly with one break at 2am. During the day she is in an octagon gate in the kitchen and she barks to poo (and I take her out), but she pees a lot in there. So the pee is really...not there yet. Sometimes two times in an hour.

These are good dogs for families? What am I missing or doing wrong?

Since she loves to attack us and pee all over...her time running around the house isn't happening as much as I'd like. Potty-training I am not too worries about but such biting and attacking...does this end? I do not know what to expect for a 13 week old. We do tell her no and correct, and pull away attention when she does so. No luck really.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jackson 14462 is offline Junior Member

Hi, wondering about the initial potty training. We have a 13 month old black lab also. We brought him home at 8 weeks of age. Spent the first week getting up with him once during the night and sleeping on the couch near his crate. We initially took him out every 1/2 hour during the day. We limit water consumption at night beyond 730. Take him out at 1100 and he is good until at least 7 or later. We walk him twice per day, 2km's each time and play with him in the afternoon outside. We ensure we have an antler or toy to shove in his mouth when he starts to bite. When he gets crazy he goes in a similar moveable pen. I firmly believe that they need their down time. We find the biting is bad when he is too wound up. I read somewhere that 5 minutes exercise for each month of age, twice per day was recommended. We could never survive if that was the case. The walks have helped considerably with behaviour. It is exhausting having a puppy

Jackson 14462 is offline Junior Member

Sorry, to answer your question, biting is normal!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

puppies bite. tell her to stop it, then distract.

smrafi is offline Junior Member

Puppies have this urge to chew, give him a soft bone (real, not toy) and that will keep them busy. Also when the pup bites or is making an attempt to bite show your discomfort by quickly waking in this direction taking away his space. The pup will understand that he should not do that.

Sierravalleylabs is offline Junior Member

We make a very loud "ow" sound to let them know they are hurting us. This is usually enough to train them. Occasionally, when one of them gets especially worked up we have to hold their muzzle closed and say "no bite". They may try to bite immediately after you let them loose. Just do it again. Eventually they will get it. It doesnt hurt them but they dont like it.