Sick puppy

Thread: Sick puppy

Nursenikki87 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSick puppy

Hello! Picked up my pup from a breeder when he was 8 weeks old. Took him to the vet the next day for a check up bc he wasn't eating or drinking. Parvo positive . Long story short here we are 4 months later and come to find out he has coronovirus and camplobactor as well-- vet thinks he must have had it all along but You would never know besides that first week that he was sick. On and off we would find drops of bright red blood at the end of his stool which always tested negative for parasites- vet kept reassuring me maybe it was just a sensitive stomach (ugh!) He is a very active playful boy who eats like a pig. My concern is he has been on and off antibiotics since even before I have had him ( breeder started him on flagyl thinking he might have had giardia without actually testing for it)
    I have him on a probiotic once a day now, but I'm so worried what all these antibiotics has done to his body. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Any recommendations would be totally appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Annabellam is offline Member

I can imagine how you feel. I think the breeder was not at all honest with you on the health of the puppy. Had you gotten a recommendation? I think it's advisable to get one just to ensure that you are getting someone reputable. Anyway, the best thing you can do is give him all the care in the world. The vet should recommend fluid therapy, rest and the antibiotics. I don' think you can avoid them

Nursenikki87 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your response. Yes, the breeder was recommended to us. I should have known when he was covered in dirt, wet and left outside when we picked him up he had something, little did I know it would be everything under the sun. The good news is he is doing great now (knock on wood) he is on abx three times a day for another month so hopefully that should clear up anything that may be still in his system. I just hate the fact he has had to be on them on and off for the last few months. Hopefully the probiotic will help i was just wondering if there might be anything else I could give him to help his little immune system. I was also asking the vet for a prophylactic antifungal but she didn't think it was necessary?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Annabellam is offline Member

Good to hear that he has improved. Sometime back i had left Sammy with my boyfriend and when i got back i discovered that he had gone down with a cold and had really lost some weight over time. My vet recommended pet vitamins and supplements. They generally help in boosting immunity, smoothening the coat and improving the general health of your pet.

TeagansMum is offline Junior Member

Hello. I hope your pup is doing well and has started getting all his vaccinations.

Daidy is offline Junior Member

Is he all better now?