Yellw lab and toddler

Thread: Yellw lab and toddler

191185 is offline Junior Member

DefaultYellw lab and toddler

Hello

Is it normal for my toddler to be deathly afraid of a lab pup ?

We went to a few dog pounds, and pet stores today, and our toddler would run away and scream as soon as the puppy came close.. She is curious and playful when the puppy is at a distance

Is this normal, and just takes time? Or would this potentially be a problem ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It will be a problem if you rush out to get a puppy before your toddler is ready. Please don't rush into a purchase because in that case, I've found everyone loses (the buyer, the breeder, and the puppy).
    Please don't buy a puppy unless EVERYONE in the family is ready and 100% committed to raising it. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I am not in a rush. I am wondering if it is normal for a toddler to be scared at first, and how long it took for the toddler to get used to the puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
    I am not in a rush. I am wondering if it is normal for a toddler to be scared at first, and how long it took for the toddler to get used to the puppy.
    Like every dog, every child is different. I've had the unfortunate experience of having someone whose child was "scared" by a dog when the kid was ~2 or 3 at a park or on a trail of sorts, then think nothing of sending a puppy deposit to me, only to find that child NOT AT ALL ready or happy to be even sitting near 4 wk old puppies (who are at about the cutest, kindest age labs can be). And the child clearly ran the show w the mom, so I had to be the bad person and tell them "no go". Some kids require "socializaton" also... And I'd guess there are probably some kids who just don't like animals too.

If it's important to you, then make an effort to get your toddler out and about to meet well trained / well socialized dogs on a regular basis. Maybe go to a dog show... an animal fair... do you know anyone w/ well behaved, well socialized dogs?

flynbyu2 is offline Member

My lab worked for a local sports team. After our work was done, we were in full PR mode. Kids and adults alike were allowed to meet and pet Dora. The spectrum of behavior among kids was everything from deathly fear to licking Dora's face.

I would expose a child slowly to see if there is any change.

You can go to a local dog adoption site where there are dogs of all ages and sizes to see if there is any change.

Good luck. Every child deserves a dog.
    Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Like every dog, every child is different. I've had the unfortunate experience of having someone whose child was "scared" by a dog when the kid was ~2 or 3 at a park or on a trail of sorts, then think nothing of sending a puppy deposit to me, only to find that child NOT AT ALL ready or happy to be even sitting near 4 wk old puppies (who are at about the cutest, kindest age labs can be). And the child clearly ran the show w the mom, so I had to be the bad person and tell them "no go". Some kids require "socializaton" also... And I'd guess there are probably some kids who just don't like animals too.

If it's important to you, then make an effort to get your toddler out and about to meet well trained / well socialized dogs on a regular basis. Maybe go to a dog show... an animal fair... do you know anyone w/ well behaved, well socialized dogs?
    Dog show ? Awesome idea, don't know why I didn't think about that.. I am thinking of buying a lab this spring, still need to do research on which breeder, am in Minnesota if you know any.

When I was going to all the pounds and pet stores, I was not looking to buy, I was looking to "socialize" or get my daughter familiar with dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by flynbyu2 View Post
    My lab worked for a local sports team. After our work was done, we were in full PR mode. Kids and adults alike were allowed to meet and pet Dora. The spectrum of behavior among kids was everything from deathly fear to licking Dora's face.

I would expose a child slowly to see if there is any change.

You can go to a local dog adoption site where there are dogs of all ages and sizes to see if there is any change.

Good luck. Every child deserves a dog.
    I'd be very careful there (at adoption events) since most rescues are not dealing w/ known temperaments. And actually, don't take any dogs' temperament for granted at a dog show either-- always ask first to be sure the person isn't waiting to go into the ring and also to make sure the dog really likes children. Some (like my Ruby) may be a little overly friendly at times too though I was pretty proud of her at the park last weekend w/ a little girl in a stroller who was maybe 9 mos old at the most (she got her face and ears washed after I learned that they had a lab at home and were real dog lovers).