We have long wanted to have a dog and we love Labradors and finally able to take care of a dog (work from home most days). I had dogs all my life and never had a dog eat the plants and shrubs or get poisoned, but never had a Labrador. I know I will have to do some training, since I don't want any dog to rip up my garden, but is the threat so great that one can't have a garden.
Unfortunately, we are also avid gardeners and our house has a large yard and a variety of gardens and plants. Before getting a Labrador, I am looking for good advice from anther Labrador owners who are also an avid gardener. Can dogs and gardens can coexist, or which plants are truly the problem for Labradors.
When reading about dogs and gardens (eating plants), it stated, "Hope you don't have a Labrador." Do Labradors eat every plant in site and therefore I have a toxic backyard with a threat in every corner of the yard. I really want to have a Labrador and a garden too. Nearly 80% of the garden is on the toxic plant lists for dogs. Is it really a problem? Are Labradors more prone to eating plants than other breeds? Maybe there just extremely toxic plants that Labradors cannot resist no matter how well they are trained?
Every site makes you believe that have rip out every potentially toxic plant in your garden, get rid of mulch and pave over your yard with concrete and fence in your dog. What fun is that? As much as we all love Labradors, it is a bigger issue or just overstated?
I have hundreds of plants of all types including hundreds of hostas, lilies, azaleas, iris, daffodils, hollies, hellebores and so much more . . . . and tomatoes.
Have read all the forum about which toxic plants are dangerous to dogs including countless links to the ASPCA Toxic Plant List. Got the link. When you read it, it is just enough to get owners freaked out every time they nibble on a plant (and call their $65 hotline). I really wish their site would state which part of the plant is toxic and how much needs to be eaten before one has to the vet or phone. This list makes one believe that nearly all parts of plant are toxic. Some plants are toxic, but not the leaves - just the seed pods, berries or the bulb or root. Plus, toxicity is also about size and weight of an animal and how much has been eaten. Is it merely one leaf or a wheelbarrow full of leaves?
Which plants are the real problems when it comes Labradors getting poisoned.
Can I own a Labrador?
My labs are part goat - they will dig up and eat anything. I now have part of the yard sectioned off just for the dogs, which is kind of barren, so that the rest of the yard can be nicely landscaped.
Thanks. I cannot fence off my yard for a dog only section. Restrictions in the neighborhood. I have friends that bring their Labradors over to the yard, but older dogs and don't seem to care about the garden and only lay in the shade in the grass.
I wonder if you can ask a local vet if they know what plants are toxic to dogs?
if you cannot fence off the garden you will be doing 100% management for many years and will always need to be paying attention to the dog when they are outside. you will HAVE to work diligently and consistently on boundaries which will take time (months if not longer). How long it will take the dog to be left with less than 100% attention/direction will depend on the individual dog not the breed. yes labs are particularly bad but many other breeds can dig and chew plants. So in the end it depends on YOU. are you ok with all that management?
and yes you will need to find out what, if anything, is poisonous.
I agree with Dryfo and wanted to add; Labs are no worse then others,when you can't monitor 100%, tie him up!
I also have a garden, as I look back at the last 16 months with Rocky the garden would be way down the list of problems.
You can't even fence off a veggie garden??? Low fencing or even a string around stakes have worked for me in the past but I eventually put a 4' garden fence around the veggies since the neighbor dogs started to want to run that fence and mine trampled some of my tomatoes!
I have iris and a few other supposedly toxic landscape plants here. Have not had an issue except maybe some mild diarrhea in some puppies that chewed on the iris and english ivy leaves a yr ago.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014