Lethargic lab puppy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lethargic lab puppy!

shanksdc@gmail.com is offline Junior Member

DefaultLethargic lab puppy!

Hi All! We have a new love, our 16 week purebred Yellow lab male from a hobby breeder, once a year. He owns the mother and used a very high pedigree, low OFA scored sire of a friends. The pup is gorgeous. Here's the thing, I'm terrified of hip dysplasia. He seems like the best puppy ever! Not hyper, very lethargic actually. Sleeps all the time. He has bouts of energy for sure after each meal, then potties, plays for a while with my three boys and crashes for two hours. He doesn't seem too excited to play ball often, happier to just lay and chew. Also when he breaks into a full on sprint, he does a sort of bunny hop sometimes on his back legs. Is it just normal or should I be nervous? We love him so much we need him to be happy and healthy for at least 13 years!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I posted that photo of him with my three year old so you could see his trotting gait. Do his hind legs look good to you?

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

What's a low scored OFA? Fair is passing. Anything less and you shouldn't have bought the puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    What's a low scored OFA? Fair is passing. Anything less and you shouldn't have bought the puppy.
    No, I mean it was a 2 rated which he said was Excellent. This is consistent with what I found on this website. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals: Hip Dysplasia

I'm just asking if lethargy is normal.

No the score number was a 1, so excellent. That was for the father. The mother was not OFA scored but has no hip problems and is 3 years old. I don't think he could run and jump as agile as he does if he had bad hips, just wondering if the laziness is normal. He sleeps up to 20 hours a day it seems with about 4 wild hours after eating. And when wild, very wild. Normal?

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Cute pup, but one really can't tell much from a picture. If you're very concerned about his hips, you can have him x-rayed and sent to OFA for a preliminary evaluation (they can't do final evaluations until he's two.) As for the laziness, it can be normal in some lines. I've got one who has always been lazy, though she will gladly play when someone wants to (and then go right back to couch potato mode). Her hips are OFA good and elbows normal, so no correlation between her laziness and hips. My other (different bloodlines) is a lot more 'busy' always running and jumping. Her siblings and half siblings are the same way.

Oh he'll play happily when we ask him for sure. He just doesn't pester us. Perhaps all is well. He still needs his last puppy shot, so I'll take him in to make sure he hasn't contracted anything that is making him ill. Thanks!!!

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Are you in another country other than the US? Because a 1 is not an OFA hip rating. OFA rates hips Excellent, Good, Fair and then goes into grades of dysplasia. Unfortunately BOTH parents need to have hips done, so you really won't know. But chances are things are fine.

Be happy you have a mellow pup. Nothing wrong with that.

nicole is offline Senior Member

As mentioned, OFA doesn't grade hips in numbers. Unfortunately, you supported a back yard breeder, not a hobby breeder. Stop staring at your baby, wondering if something is wrong and simply enjoy him. When you get him neutered, have his hips xrayed if you're worried.

The father is scored Excellent, that's all I know. So that is good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast