Newbie needs help.

Thread: Newbie needs help.

Love my Black Lab is offline Junior Member

DefaultNewbie needs help.

My Bear is now 16 months and 95 pounds.I desperately need help about a week ago my Bear starting growling at me it only happens when he has certain sticks in his mouth. He has always allowed me to remove anything from him even his bone which is an evening treat. It is more than just a playful I want that, he will look at me with hair standing on his neck and bare his teeth. My husband tells me I must get forceful and let hm know I am alpha, Ok I am but this is scary. Bear is my fourth lab I don't know what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jathas is offline Junior Member

If his hair on his neck is standing up and he is baring his teeth, that is not playing, but resource guarding. I would consult with a trainer.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

welcome

I don't buy into the entire alpha theory popularized by Ceasar Milan who never studied dogs per say and isn't a trainer. He's a TV celebrity. I would work on a good drop it/leave it. and on general obedience and manners and likely some "nothing in life is freE" (if you google that you'll get all the details)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

you want to get alpha with a 95 lb dog that has hair standing up on his neck? good luck with that..

i forgot to mention - training classes or talking with a reputable educated/experienced trainer would be great. note that anyone can call themselves a "trainer" so do ask lots of questions about their experienced and EDUCATION (having had dogs/grown up with dogs is not education). I would further recommend not going with anyone that talks about pack leader or alpha rolling.

This is a new behavior and only happens with a certain frond from the palms on my property. Yes, the answer would be to pick them up I do but sometime miss one.

This is a very new behavior associated only with palm fronds that fall to the ground. He will let me remove anything from his mouth even femur bones which I give only as a special treat on a designated rug. He does the leave it quite well except with this. The alpha thing is something my husband believes in from over 50 year ago so not influenced by Cesar. Your reply is very much appreciated since as you can imagine this is a very scary and I am reaching out hoping to fine a solution. Bear is very bonded to me followes me all over waiting for me to sit still so that he can take a nap.

training has evolved a great deal over the last 20-30 years. as has our understanding on how dogs learn/understand. what was "common sense training" back in the day is no longer the only or preferred way to deal with/train a dog.