Hello Fellow Lab Lovers!

I am new to the group. My name is Linda and I have a black lab named Dolly. Dolly is 6-1/2 years old and is currently having a problem with her ear flap. It feels like there's a bubble in her ear, but turns out it is a broken blood vessel leaking in her ear flap and causing it to swell and is called an Ear Hematoma. This is the second time we've had this problem. First time was a year ago on her left ear. We paid $850 for the surgery to have it scraped off and stitched up. It was quite a trauma for her and to this day, she shakes like a leaf when we take her to the vet.

Now she has one on her right ear. We took her to a new vet as the old one we had retired. The vet gave us some ointment and some Trammadol for pain and said that the surgery was the same as a human getting plastic surgery, cosmetic but not really necessary. He said that the only residual problem is that her ear might look funny with the bump (which is really not noticeable). My question is this: Has anyone else out there had this problem and not done the surgery without any ill effects? Thanks!

You can send any answers to my email address: [email protected]