Breeder Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeder Search

mek0722@comcast.net is offline Junior Member

DefaultBreeder Search

Hello,

I am new to this forum and lost my black lab several months ago. She is so missed. I am in the process of researching labrador retriever breeders who breed the english style labs. Does anyone have a recommendation for breeders in CT or MA? Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Thank you,

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovingly1 is offline Member

We too have been searching for a dog. Right now I feel confused about this question of eye and nose color. I had no idea that this could be an issue and just want to know about it as a health factor. I was shown a yellow pup with dark eyes but it was only five weeks. Its mother had a pink nose and her eyes seemed greenish in color. Got to see a pic of the stud and he has black nose and darkish around eyes. We just want a family pet but do not want beloved friend to experience health issue that will be both heart wrenching and expensive. Can anybody help? Maybe we would be better off with a black lab?
    If anyone out there is willing I could share photos to get feedback. Thanks!

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovingly1 View Post
    We too have been searching for a dog. Right now I feel confused about this question of eye and nose color. I had no idea that this could be an issue and just want to know about it as a health factor. I was shown a yellow pup with dark eyes but it was only five weeks. Its mother had a pink nose and her eyes seemed greenish in color. Got to see a pic of the stud and he has black nose and darkish around eyes. We just want a family pet but do not want beloved friend to experience health issue that will be both heart wrenching and expensive. Can anybody help? Maybe we would be better off with a black lab?
    If anyone out there is willing I could share photos to get feedback. Thanks!
    most important question is do both parents have ALL health clearances. hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic and cmn. minimum clearances for labs - unfortunately as t hey are very popular they have willy nilly been bred and there are many many health issues in the breed. But luckily these clearances ensure best odds the puppy will be healthy.

regarding pigmentation, see this page: Yellow Pigment

From your link: "Unfortunately many breeders are not well versed in coat color genetics and there are "old wives tales" surrounding liver nosed yellows. First of all they are a fault, not a disqualification. Only a dog that has true pink pigment can't be shown so producing a beautiful pup that can't go in the ring is unfortunate BUT they do make wonderful companions and hunting partners so not all is lost! Second they do NOT have inherent skin problems nor do they get sun burned like many breeders have been told. They are "self colored" just like a chocolate Lab or a red Visla and there is nothing genetically wrong with that combination that makes their skin sensitive. And lastly they do not "pop" up in litters that can't produce the genetic possibility. In other words both parents MUST carry both chocolate and yellow to yield liver nosed yellows". Thanks, that is helpful. We will look toward the test results for our answers then. We do not want to be too color conscious here. We are searching for a dog to be our beloved pet. But we have had some years of caring for dogs and cats with health problems and it was costly, in money but more importantly in stress. We worried, stressed over things a lot, and are not getting any younger".

Thanks, I look forward to searching around here and gaining from the privilege.

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

Five years ago I got a very nicely bred lab from Julie at Maritime Labs. They are in Dayville, CT and had every clearance possible. Some very pretty champions and they work with their dogs. My vet was impressed with the information packet that was sent home with my girl. I also used the links at the LRCGB.org to loo for litters.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Location could be helpful but why not google all the regional clubs near you?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

We looked at the web site and Maritime Labs looks excellent. They do not seem to have pups at this time however spring is not that far off.

Yes, I looked at Maritime as well and she was very helpful but wasn't going to have a litter until Spring. I too am looking for a pup now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast