New Lab Puppy, Shes kinda small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lab Puppy, Shes kinda small

Timothyktech is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew Lab Puppy, Shes kinda small

Hello,

My Name is Tim, and i recently got a brand new lab puppy, shes about 9 weeks now. Just wondering why she is so small.

Breeder said she was pure bred, she is the runt of the litter. she weighs about 3-6 pounds. we weighed her at the vet last week, she was 3.5 pounds. we feel like shes taken on some weight since then.

But what do you guys think? does she look pure bred?

Thank you in advance!

(picture is 1 week old)
    20151222_205932.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

The pup LOOKS like a full lab but the weight is definitely off.

How reputable of a breeder did you get the pup from? Could the whelping date be wrong? Did you get AKC registered papers with the puppy?

A well bred pup should be about 10 pounds for each month of age. A hunting lines puppy might be about 5-7 pounds per month of age.

jertom is offline Senior Member

10 lbs. per month seems a little high, that would mean a 8 week old pup going to his new home would be 20 lbs.. ?
    Rocky was 12.5 lbs when I picked him up, today he's 14 months old, 80 lbs. and no small dog.
    although to quibble with your formula doesn't help the OP.
    I agree that's too small and something isn't right, also agree the first thing I would question is the pups age.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post

How reputable of a breeder did you get the pup from? Could the whelping date be wrong? Did you get AKC registered papers with the puppy?

A well bred pup should be about 10 pounds for each month of age. A hunting lines puppy might be about 5-7 pounds per month of age.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post

Unfortunately this was my first dog and i wasnt sure what was required. He didnt tell us it was a runt until we arrived and i didnt know what to ask or what to expect from a runt, and my wife was already in love so i didnt have time to walk away and find out what i should have asked. The puppy didnt come with AKC papers. I thought the papers were only necessary for show dogs or breeding. Im realizing that i want those regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
    10 lbs. per month seems a little high, that would mean a 8 week old pup going to his new home would be 20 lbs.. ?
    Rocky was 12.5 lbs when I picked him up, today he's 14 months old, 80 lbs. and no small dog.
    although to quibble with your formula doesn't help the OP.
    I agree that's too small and something isn't right, also agree the first thing I would question is the pups age.
    Yeah i starting to think that the puppy was younger than i was told. The vet said that her teeth werent finished coming in. Not sure what that means though as far as age progression. Would a vet beable to tell visually the puppys age? The Vet that was treating her for parvo said that she thinks shes too small to be a pure lab. But im hoping its just because she is younger.

Im not upset that the dog isnt a lab as much as im upset that the breeder was conning me.

I can understand. I've had different posts on the subject, but I don't want to open that can of worms right now.
    again I remind that you can search on this forum.
    without a better idea I would suggest you trust your veterinarian right now.
    good luck to you and your pup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothyktech View Post
    Yeah i starting to think that the puppy was younger than i was told. The vet said that her teeth werent finished coming in. Not sure what that means though as far as age progression. Would a vet beable to tell visually the puppys age? The Vet that was treating her for parvo said that she thinks shes too small to be a pure lab. But im hoping its just because she is younger.

Im not upset that the dog isnt a lab as much as im upset that the breeder was conning me.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Do you know what your vet meant by the teeth comment? Baby teeth were still coming in or ??? Baby teeth start poking thru the gums at 3wks. By 4wks, they are pretty much there. By 5 wks, Lab pups can chomp pretty hard w/ them!
    As for weight, I'd not agree w/ 10# per month show vs field (actually my field bred litters have been bigger in many cases than my show line litters). My current pups were 7-8# at 5 wks, a little on the smaller side than my last pups-- maybe 1# avg.
    I think poundage / puppy more closely correlates to the number of pups in the litter. They all eventually catch up w/ one another though if you take away the genetic factor.

3.5# though--- wow. Mine are that at 3wks easily, if not at 2.5 wks depending on birth weight. I just hope your pup doesn't have a liver shunt or something of the sorts. Best of luck. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

SavvvyLu is offline Member

Hello,

My Name is Tim, and i recently got a brand new lab puppy, shes about 9 weeks now. Just wondering why she is so small.

Breeder said she was pure bred, she is the runt of the litter. she weighs about 3-6 pounds. we weighed her at the vet last week, she was 3.5 pounds. we feel like shes taken on some weight since then.

But what do you guys think? does she look pure bred?

Thank you in advance!

(picture is 1 week old)
    20151222_205932.jpg
    Yep, she does. As long as she's healthy I wouldn't worry about it. She is darn cute!

didn't think to ask; is she eating hard kibble o.k.? you can soften it with water if neccesary.
    you've may have discussed this with your vet already.
    hope all is going well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SavvvyLu View Post
    Yep, she does. As long as she's healthy I wouldn't worry about it. She is darn cute!

Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
    didn't think to ask; is she eating hard kibble o.k.? you can soften it with water if neccesary.
    you've may have discussed this with your vet already.
    hope all is going well.
    Yeah she was really struggling with hard kibble when i first brought her home, I remembered the water trick with my cat. its about 2 weeks in now and she is eat very well now. Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast