English lab owner desperately seeking information on infection

Thread: English lab owner desperately seeking information on infection

Nikkitoby is offline Junior Member

DefaultEnglish lab owner desperately seeking information on infection

I am the owner of precious Lab who is having complications following a routine TPLO. Following a 5 day stay at the surgical center, we immediately noticed a lot of edema in his surgical leg. After several weeks of ongoing issues we took him to our local vet and had the incision site cultured. The culture results were positive for pseudomonas. We also discovered several weeks later that he had a fibula (head) fracture. However, he did not sustain a post operative injury of any sort, so I'm not sure why, when and how the fibula was fractured. Nonetheless, he went in for a 2nd sx approx 5 weeks following the TPLO. We were pleased with the fibula sx. No drainage, no swelling, etc. He is currently in an external fixator and is still on the antibiotic for the pseudomonas. We seemed to be having a good response to this tx plan and literally the next day (3 weeks post op) he has now taken a turn for the worse. He is extremely lethargic, short of breath and is crying when you try to get him up at all. His red blood cells were at 20% at his appt today.

I'm extremely concerned and have no idea why this would be happening. I'm not even sure if it's possible for these symptoms to be related to the surgical issues we are experiencing, but coincidentally his original TPLO incision opened backed up a little and had a thick serum like drainage exiting the exact same time he became lethargic. Just curious if anyone has any advice or info on what could be going on? This little guy means sooooo much to our family and we are absolutely heartbroken at the thought of losing him. Thank you in advance for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Wishing you and him the best. How old is he ?

Nikkitoby is offline Junior Member

He's 12. I understand that his age isn't helping this process any, and inevidentably he isn't going to be here forever. I just can't imagine losing him in this manner.

His lab work prior to surgery was remarkable. Absolutely baffled at how he went from impeccable labs in October to Chronic Kidney Disease & Renal Failure by December!

This has been absolutely devastating to our family. Thank you for your kind words.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

QiLin is offline Junior Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Kidney problems exacerbate heart problems and vice versa. I'd be concerned that his being short of breath could be to heart issues related to the kidney issues.

Can you post his renal numbers from his bloodwork? Is it possible that it's an acute kidney infection since his labwork looked good two months ago? How is the kidney failure being treated?

Thoughts and prayers with you.

QiLin is offline Junior Member

Sorry just one more thing - the antibiotics used to treat the infection may be contributing to the renal issues. And dosage should definitely be taken into account when dealing with renal failure.