Is she savable or is she a danger

Thread: Is she savable or is she a danger

tammynronald is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs she savable or is she a danger

In 2012 a co worker came to work bragging about her new rescue puppy who was 18 months old. Two weeks later, after having her spayed and up to date on all shots along with a heart worm shot, it was a different story. She said she was taking her to the shelter because "Bella" kept escaping her enclosure and was going to get run over by a car. After talking with my husband we took her to live with us. She was very gentle and her only fault at that time was no matter what we couldn't keep her from jumping up on us. To this day she still does it! Our other dog who was slightly younger than her and extremely spoiled wouldn't allow her next to the food or water (both of which were left out in bowls for whenever they wanted it). We intervened to make sure she was getting both. A few months later they were fighting in the back yard over a rope toy. It started off as play but turned into an all out fight. Before I could break it up Blue had ended up with several injuries to his entire body and right below the eye. Coco was fine. Even though Blue ( Blue Heeler) had made all kinds of noises like he was fighting back he didn't. I took him to the vet and the only one serious was the one next to the eye. I was giving medications for him and told to keep them from fighting. A few days later she started another one which I broke up quickly because I was looking for it. I took all toys away that could be taken from one dog by another dog. It left only the balls in my yard for them to play with...I also remove all toys from the house. I gave them edible bones and edible chewing treats. I constantly kept an eye on them. After awhile it calmed down. Coco killed birds, rabbits, and any other wildlife I couldn't discourage from coming into the yard. I started fostering this year. I started off with two puppies. They were ill so for the most part separated from them. Then I was given another one to foster weighing in at 27 pounds. A terrier possible lab mix. For the most part they were all getting along. Then I was given three more to foster. Coco didn't like one of the males and tried to attack him but I thought it was him because he barked at all of them. He was a rat terrier mix and the longer he stayed the more he hated other dogs to get near me. So I separated them putting the 3 puppies and 2 of the new ones together in their own space. I kept the little one because no one seemed to mind him. I was sitting at my computer one day and Coco suddenly and without any warning at all jumped up and tried to attack the little one. Maybe because he was on my feet. But so was the other one weighing now 29 pounds. I put the little one with a feral cat I had adopted. The 2 with the puppies left and I was given 2 more to foster. My husband allowed them all out together except for the little one and they were all getting along and this lasted for 4 days. Once again without warning CoCo attacked. She left a mark on one of the new ones, a female, so that told us no more. She can only be around 2 of the dogs. Then all the fosters in the one area were gone and that left one single puppy who was now what I called a teenager. Coco for the most part ignored her and the puppy played with the smaller one. Those 2 stayed together and Coco and Blue stayed together. Then Coco started being a bully towards the puppy. Not attacking her but nipping at her and and cornering her. Then she starting putting her teeth on the puppy, who now weighed 50 pounds, neck. Every time something was happening we stopped it, we read articles on how to be the dominant one with your dog, and we applied what we learned. I could stare at Coco and have her bow down to me. I contacted a trainer in my area but couldn't afford the $600 fee she was wanting to charge. The puppy went to her home but was returned. I kept her separate from Coco with the other small one. Coco would lunge at her in her through the gate that separated them so I reinforced it. I continued to try to do some type of training with CoCo. My vet told me to reinforce NO, SIT, STAY, and to give her 15 minutes and if she hadn't eaten her food to pick it up. Meal time was difficult and still is. Coco takes about an hour to eat her food. I have to coax her to eat. Everyone was separated during meal time. Blue had to have special food and couldn't eat Coco's food and vice versus. The puppy was adopted again and I let the other one come out to be with bigger 2 and everything seemed all right. Then there were some little ones in danger at the shelter of being put down. So they came to me. Three of them. All seniors. Then 4 puppies came to me. One of the seniors scratched through the door (which is a hollow door) and escaped the enclosure. He only wanted to go lay on the couch. He loved to just lay on the couch and sleep. I came home and everything seemed normal. They were barking as I pulled into the garage. I opened the door and instead of jumping on me all 3 were gathered by the corner of the couch. I thought they had found something to tear up. No big deal. Instead it was one of my seniors. He had been attacked in the neck which is where Coco had attacked every other dog. I put them outside and called my neighbor. We went to the vet but he couldn't be saved. His age worked against him. I had put a water bowl outside for the dogs and put them inside and let everyone else out. Got everyone to potty and fed them. When I looked, really looked, I could see where he had been attacked or played with (because his body was wet when I found him like he had been licked) due to pieces of hair and blood drops. Since this happened I can barely look at her. I am trying to understand why this happened. I thought as long as I could keep her away from my fosters all would ok. I could save some lives but in the end one died a terrible death. I had one of the rescues take all the puppies and find other foster homes for them. Two more just left and the remaining ones plus one I found are in the master bedroom with the door shut and the hallway blocked off with several items in front of the gate which is metal. Since then if I get near her food bowl she growls at me. I have to use a broom to pick it up, she takes longer than an hour now to eat, she is trying her best to attack the cat that has always been in the open area of the house, she bows up at Blue again, the other one is scared of her now and doesn't want to go outside with her, and over all she has become more aggressive. She also peed on the couch. We have a privacy fence and she tried to go through the fence when she saw the little dog next door. She did break a piece and we reinforced it. How do I save her? Is it possible with small children and dogs surrounding us? Can she ever be trusted? I have my own personal little dog...I know she can't be a pure lab due to the white on her. Is the other part of her genes causing this behavior? My profile picture is Coco. I would appreciate all advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

rarely are attacks "without warning" unless it's a health issue. It just means you don't know or haven't spotted the warning yet.

I'd get a qualified trainer-behaviorist to come evaluate the dogs. there is too much going on and too much at risk to really be super helpful with online advice. Plus the life of a dog shouldN't be decided on by third parties reading a recap online. Have her properly evaluated. set her up for success in the meantime. Have a FULL vet visit to ensure she is healthy (even if she has been not too long ago). I definitely wouldn't let her out loose with an invisible fence if she knows to break it when she needs to.

pure bred doesn't mean the dog will have the temperament hoped for in the breed. many dogs are badly bred and badly raised leading to temperament completely off from what you would want in the breed.

Lilika is offline Member

I'd rehome the dog with someone who doesn't have other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammynronald is offline Junior Member

This is a rural area. I am her 6th home. She has been through so many. Rescues won't touch her with her history. The chance of rehoming her is not very good.