18 month Lab refusing to walk apart from down the field.

Thread: 18 month Lab refusing to walk apart from down the field.

Russ Dent is offline Junior Member

Default18 month Lab refusing to walk apart from down the field.

Hello,

I have an 18 month old male Lab which we got when he was 6 months old. We leave near a big field full of dog walkers all the time and Leo loves going down there running around with other dogs and we have never had a problem with getting him down there but now the dark nights are here he refuses to go walking on his lead in any other direction apart from towards the field. I have not taken him to the vet as he runs like a nutter down the field with other dogs and shows no sign of being ill. Since we have had him we have never walked him on the roads as we love to see him running down the field so its prob our fault abit. He puts on his lead in the morning no problem because he knows he is going down the field to play so its not a lead issue.

Could anyone guide us to any ideas to get him out, Me and my wife and the kids are all going to try to go for a walk with him tonight to see if we can build up his confidence or is he just being stubborn and wanting to play.

Any help or ideas to get him out would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Take him to the vet and have his eye sight checked....especially if the problem is only happening at night.

We did think he might be scared off the dark or his eyes might be the problem but his fine in the morning when he knows we are going down the field and it's pitch black then because we go before work (no lights on the field) and his ok if we head towards the field at night as well. I have managed to get him out for walks twice this week but I have to really coax him in the opposite direction from the field. It takes me about 5 mins to get to the top of the road and then he walks ok from there around the estate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Gracie is 3 and 1/2 yrs old and still gets spooked in the dark. It's natural.

jertom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by poopypuppy View Post
    Gracie is 3 and 1/2 yrs old and still gets spooked in the dark. It's natural.
    you're right. it's the only time Rocky doesn't want to run to the neighbors house, any neighbor by the way.

That's good to hear that its just not leo that plays up in the dark (Not good that they are spooked). Thanks for the reply's and reassuring me. I have been taking him out nightly for about 5 mins each time and leaving the house very slowly giving him time to get brave with me. Once we cross the road he is kind of ok. Thanks again 2015-11-28 10.25.25.jpg