Hello!!

Thread: Hello!!

hdale91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello!!

Hey guys!
    My names Hayley and I'm from Queensland, Australia!

I have a 5 month old black lab who I named Dakota and is honestly the best decision I ever made! I've attached some photos so you can see my beautiful baby!

I just wanted to get some advice or some insight in to other peoples experiences with their pups...

I work full time as a nurse, so occassionally I do double shifts (when this happens, I organise for Dakota to go to day care which she just loves).
    I have a fairly big back yard which she loves to explore, but if I leave her outside, she finds a way out (bites through the chicken wire, moves bricks etc) to get in to the neighbours yard. I'm very lucky because my neighbours absolutely love her and they actually have a key to my house so they can pop over and visit her while I'm at work! When I go to work, I leave the back door open slightly ajar so that she can get in to the back yard and can also come back inside.... TOUCH WOOD, I have had no destruction. It makes me so nervous leaving her and the longest I've left her alone is 6 hours, but the worst thing I've come home to is a few leaves chewed up on my floor. I find that if I leave the door open for her to explore and have the comforts of the house as well, she doesn't try to get out of the yard.

I started off crate training her, and still crate train her at night! She normally has her dinner around 8 and then does a wee and will come back inside and will sleep right through until around 5-6am where she will start crying for food! She is fully toilet trained and we haven't had any accidents inside since she was 3.5 months!

She isn't a barker, and she LOVES all dogs. The only flaw I've really found is that she jumps and gets overly excited with other dogs, to the point it makes me nervous that another dog will get angry with her. She plays with small dogs (malteses etc) and loves them and has played with big dogs and is exactly the same.

My one other issue, after reading through so many forums is her weight.. at 5 months old she weighs 11.5kg OR 23lbs! She doesn't look underweight at all, and the vet has said not to worry, but everything I've read, suggests she should be anywhere between 35-50lbs!!!

I guess I'm looking for some tips or tricks to do with her or fun things that any one can suggest or any feedback on anything that I've written above.

One last question, she loves her treats, especially pigs ears, or her kong with liver treats and peanut butter... As it is now approaching summer, it's getting very hot here and I would like to give her some cold treats that will take her a while to get through.. do you have any suggestions? She seems to love ice hahah!

Can't wait to hear from you all
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hdale91 is offline Junior Member

PS! Dakota has her own instagram account so feel free to have a look it's dakota.the.dawg