new to the forum

Thread: new to the forum

cerissa is offline Junior Member

Defaultnew to the forum

im new to the forum, im about to get a black lab tomorrow, he is 11 months old, not neutered so will have to do that asap, ive had labs most of my life, my cousin gave me my first lab, a black lab, when i was like 7 her name was shay, but we lived up on a mountain in washington state, and i think a bear got her, i cried for days, then when i was 12 i got a yellow lab, she was put down about 3 years ago due to cancer. now that i have a son, i think its time to add one to my family again. i havent had a dog since i put my last lab down, anyway i came here for advice and to learn some more, as im sure ill need it with an 11 month old pup. as this will be my first puppy as an adult. sorry if this doesnt make much sense im tired and its been a long day lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

forgot to mention that ive nver had a male dog, always female, so this will be interesting, ive heard male dogs mark their territory all the time untill you neuter is this true?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Murrisha is offline Junior Member

I think that's mostly dependent on the dog, my spayed female Shih Tzu marks her "territory" every 2 feet, who knew such a small dog could hold so much pee. :P
    Congrats on your new friend! Just be prepared for plenty of crazy puppy behavior. Our 14-month-old still runs through the house whacking things with his tail and falling over furniture. Make sure you exercise him with plenty of walks, water fun, and games of fetch (in a fenced area of course) and he will love you forever.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd not be in a hurry to neuter unless there is a real reason. Marking, imo, is an obedience thing. If he's on leash, he should be on your time, not his for instance and certainly should not be marking in your home or such.
    Current thinking on neutering is to wait until at least growth plate closure which is normally ~14 - 18 mos for labs. There is a ton of literature on the internet if you google Early Spay/ Neuter Canine.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ok thank you, i wasnt aware about neutering, thank you,
    yea i think my lab wasnt calmed down tills he was like 6 lol.
    im hoping to get this boy into dock diving or something, well not untill summer of course as its almost winter, im looking for a baseball field or something close by we can go to everyday to run off leash and play ball etc. we will be walking every day, and most weekends, except maybe winter, will be going to the mountains and hiking, will be looking for ways to alway keep him exercised, ive learned that a tired lab is a good lab lol,
    i cant wait till this evening, i could barley sleep last night i was excited.