Getting a Lab tomorrow - Excited! But crates...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Lab tomorrow - Excited! But crates...?

MalloryEditing is offline Junior Member

DefaultGetting a Lab tomorrow - Excited! But crates...?

I'm new to this forum, but not new to dogs. My Golden passed away last year and after being dogless for all those months, I'm excited to head to a wonderful breeder tomorrow to get my beautiful chocolate lab puppy, Dixie.
    I've had dogs all my life, and have never used a crate. My dogs have either slept with me or on their nice comfy beds on the floor next to me. Seems like everything I've read over the past several months of preparation for the pup says I'm a bad mother if I don't crate the pup.
    She and I will be together all the time. I work at home.
    I guess I can't figure out how I've managed to be successful with every dog I've owned since childhood without crating. From what I've read, it' a wonder all of my dogs have been happy and well-adjusted.
    What will happen if I don't put her in a crate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

Nothing horrible, it's up to you.
    Rocky was the first time for me also and here's what I liked; helped with housebreaking, a place for him to sleep and stay when I wasn't home, was his own place in this big new world and I could tell he appreciated going back to his own pillow/blanket sometimes.
    Rocky is 11 months old now, we haven't used the crate for months, he has his own bed next to mine and stays in the utility room when I leave the house.
    Do a search here for crate training, much good info there.
    Good luck to you and Dixie.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I find crating benefits the dog. Should an emergency arise, your dog doesn't need the stress of having to learn being in a crate along with whatever is going on. We were evacuated during a crisis a few years back. We had many dogs in 2 hotel rooms, crating was necessary. What if your dog gets sick and has to be in a crate at the vet?

We have crates in our dog room and most of my dogs CHOOSE to go in there with the open door to sleep....

We have young dogs now, and they are learning to sleep all night through in their crates.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Also, it's a very good idea to crate your dog in your vehicle. I am amazed at how many folks have told me how much more comfortable their dogs are now riding in the car, just because of that safety feature...
    Mine sleep in crates at night here, and I'd have it no other way. They love their dens. I have a wire crate in my family room and the 10.5 yo is almost always in it by choice when she's in the house (unless I have a new puppy, in which case, Grandma gets kicked out!). Good luck w/ your pup.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

JulieL0616 is offline Junior Member

Hi there, I just joined but I have been looking at crates that have the divider for our future puppies. I was able to find both a wire crate and a plastic crate that has the divider. When my Luna was a puppy, she was not BAD but a couple of times she accidentally shut herself in the bedroom and destroyed the carpet. That with her habit of chewing up my clothes has led me to know I want to crate train lol. If you decide it is right for you, here are a couple different ones I found that have a divider so it can grow with your baby.

http://amzn.com/B00063MQMG (Wire crate)

http://amzn.com/B00C8929KA (Plastic)

Hope these help if you do decide to crate train.
    Enjoy your new baby!
    Julie

Calla is offline Junior Member

I think it's a good idea to crate train as well....my new lab puppy is 16 weeks old now and goes in her crate (with her bunny stuffed animal) by herself a night. I brought her home with me when she was 8 weeks old and she slept 7 hrs straight after the 2nd night (I know, I am very lucky with that!). I currently have 3 other dogs too and when she is ready, she can sleep in a human bed or a dog bed, whatever she prefers :-). I just think that safety wise and her feeling secure (it's like a nest for her), crates are the best bet. Also, its convenient to pop her in the large carrier to go to the vet for her checkups. I'm at home with her all the time as well but if I go to the grocery store or mow the lawn, I put her in her crate and I KNOW that she is safe and can feel secure in a safe place. Soon, I will leave the gate open and she can choose to go in or not to sleep.

You don't have to crate to raise a pup but it just made me feel that it was the best choice for us :-). And trust me, my dogs have free reign of the house lol, it just seemed like the best thing to do when the dogs were in their younger months.

MalloryEditing is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for your responses. After thinking about it, I realized that Dixie had spent the first part of her life in a crate of sorts (first the whelping area, and then a large pen-type contraption in the house with her siblings/mom. So I figured she might need that security. The breeder send home a blanket with "mom's" scent and a large stuffed animal with her siblings' scent. A friend went out and bought a large crate (with divider) as a gift for the puppy. At bedtime, I put the scented items and a toy in the crate, along with a comfy bed. She whined a bit at first, but I knew everything was fine in there, so I endured. She did well, bless her adorable heart. I got up with her every two hours, and all is well. We'll stick with the crate and maybe she will use it as her own room as she gets older. I love her!

jertom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalloryEditing View Post
    Thank you all for your responses. After thinking about it, I realized that Dixie had spent the first part of her life in a crate of sorts (first the whelping area, and then a large pen-type contraption in the house with her siblings/mom. So I figured she might need that security. The breeder send home a blanket with "mom's" scent and a large stuffed animal with her siblings' scent. A friend went out and bought a large crate (with divider) as a gift for the puppy. At bedtime, I put the scented items and a toy in the crate, along with a comfy bed. She whined a bit at first, but I knew everything was fine in there, so I endured. She did well, bless her adorable heart. I got up with her every two hours, and all is well. We'll stick with the crate and maybe she will use it as her own room as she gets older. I love her!
    good. hopefully you found the suggestion to secure all corners of the crate with cable ties and also make sure when you're not around that both door latches are secure.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Dividers aren't really necessary. I have never used them.

Emsdad is offline Junior Member

My girl sleeps and travels in her crate all the time. We got her at 8 weeks and she is now over 2 yrs old and we still use her crate. We have a hard plastic crate and a soft folding one for when we travel. She loves her crate and I don't even latch the door at night. She usually sleeps in our attached heated garage and when I go in there in the morning she's always in her crate. I call her and she noses the door open and comes happily for her food. Really cuts down on the amount of loose fur in the vehicle when she travels in a crate and she is much safer than if she was loose in the vehicle in the event of an accident. She also has a bed that she likes to lay on during the day, other times she will go lay down in her crate. We have had other dogs in the past and have had them sleeping on our bed, laying on couches etc. This time we decided to use the crate as her bedroom, one of the best moves we ever made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast