Be prepared for the incredible excitement level of a chocolate pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be prepared for the incredible excitement level of a chocolate pup

Maddie2013 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBe prepared for the incredible excitement level of a chocolate pup

If I had known how unbelievably excitable a chocolate lab would be, I would have chosen another breed.
    I've owned a lot of dogs, none came remotely close to this dog.

She is beautiful, wonderful with people, including children and other dogs, but over the top with energy and excitement.

She is skittish, impulsive, easily distracted and has dragged me off my feet more than once.
    I've come very close to getting rid of her.

Any websites I've visited speak only of how wonderful they are.

I joined this site specifically to add this comment/notice/warning - be prepared! or choose another breed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

If you dislike her that much, maybe you should consider rehoming her to a family that can enjoy and appreciate her puppy enthusiasm.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you may not have screened the breeder you purchased the puppy from. A reputable breeder who focuses on temperament usually produces calm puppies. yes, they have their moments, but they are still able to be handled.

One thing most folks who don't research well enough find out is that the WORST puppy for the unprepared is a lab puppy. They require ALOT of training, they bite and they chew.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Maddie, how old is your pup? How old was she when you got her? What do you know about her lineage-- is she from working lines (titled at the end of the name) or is it known? Have you been to any classes yet?

I get emails nearly daily either from people looking for chocolates (as a breeder) because all the ones they seem to see are great ones, or from folks wanting to give their dogs up (as a rescue volunteer). Yes, we have over the top pups in every color, as do we have mellow ones in every color, but do remember it was a breed meant to work, so some are more energetic than others. They are not a breed that do well being left to their own devices, or if under-challenged mentally especially. I wish the breed was not so darned popular many days, because there is an image out there that Labs are the perfect family dog, and that's far from true imo as it really depends on the family.

I hope you can find some classes or activity that you can enjoy w/ your pup but otherwise, as others above have suggested, maybe you'd do her a favor by contacting her breeder and returning her so she can go to a more appropriate home. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jertom is offline Senior Member

"She is beautiful, wonderful with people, including children and other dogs.
    She is skittish, impulsive, easily distracted and has dragged me off my feet more than once."

I'm having a hard time with those two statements describing the same pup.........maybe it's just me.

Maddie2013 is offline Junior Member

I'm surprised by the number and variety of responses....but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In response - I have considered rehoming her, came very close.
    The breeder would have taken her back if I hadn't had her spayed....I learned that AFTER spaying.
    The breeder is reputable, I know two other dogs from the same kennel - hunting stock, with great lineage.
    She is bright, trainable, fast, responsive, has a soft mouth. She is also skittish, impulsive, easily distracted and
    has dragged me off my feet more than once."
    I use an E collar on her when out of the yard. ,
    The vet (a seasoned practitioner) said he's never seen a more excitable dog, offered me tranquilizers for her....I asked 'how about for me?'

I've had a number of dogs over the years, but nothing like this one.

So please, all you Lab lovers - this isn't intended to be a condemnation of the breed - just some real life experience to pass on to others looking to choose a pet.

(I wish I had read something like this when doing my research).

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I don't think you did do your research. If you want a couch potato lab (and there is nothing wrong with that, I have 4 that I love dearly with tons of obedience titles and WC certificates and show titles), you have to pick a breeder that has a house full of those kinds of dogs. And hunting stock with great lineages, they would need to be screened a bit more, since SOME hunting stock has such an incredible drive that if you don't direct the drive, you end up with a crazy, hyper dog.

Just because you know 2 other dogs from that kennel doesn't make them reputable. I know tons of dogs in my area from some of the most crappy kennels that look awesome to pet people, that's why so many have them, yet they are having personality issues, health issues etc. Just saying.

That said, my second lab was from a BYB using hunting stock with some really good dogs in the back section of the pedigree. My bitch was HIGH strung and SMART. My guess that's what you have too. You will need to power through the issues with scheduled training and play times. 1/2 hour to 1 hour a couple times a day, every day, rain or shine or snow. Also include training sessions. In my case, once the dog learned the schedule and got the mental and physical exercise it needed daily, it was fine to lay around the house until it was time to "work".

And in any case, whether you have a couch potato or a Olympian athlete, you need to exercise and train for the LIFE of the dog. People think labs are the lumps in the Normal Rockwell paintings. A reputable breeder would have explained that to you as a new buyer. A reputable breeder would take the dog back no matter if it was spayed. I know I would.

You never told us the age of the dog nor how much training and exercise you provide daily.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Reputable breeders will take any dog back that they bred regardless of whether it's been spayed.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie2013 View Post
    I'm surprised by the number and variety of responses....but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In response - I have considered rehoming her, came very close.
    The breeder would have taken her back if I hadn't had her spayed....I learned that AFTER spaying.
    The breeder is reputable, I know two other dogs from the same kennel - hunting stock, with great lineage.
    She is bright, trainable, fast, responsive, has a soft mouth. She is also skittish, impulsive, easily distracted and
    has dragged me off my feet more than once."
    I use an E collar on her when out of the yard. ,
    The vet (a seasoned practitioner) said he's never seen a more excitable dog, offered me tranquilizers for her....I asked 'how about for me?'

I've had a number of dogs over the years, but nothing like this one.

So please, all you Lab lovers - this isn't intended to be a condemnation of the breed - just some real life experience to pass on to others looking to choose a pet.

(I wish I had read something like this when doing my research).
    So you are not looking for help here, rather just looking to vent about the breed because you didn't get the dog you wanted? I'm a bit confused.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jertom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    So you are not looking for help here, rather just looking to vent about the breed because you didn't get the dog you wanted? I'm a bit confused.
    and you just arrived there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast