Marley, 4.5 months old yellow Labrador - new to forum

Thread: Marley, 4.5 months old yellow Labrador - new to forum

CharlesMaMa is offline Junior Member

DefaultMarley, 4.5 months old yellow Labrador - new to forum

Hello everyone, I am new to this wonderful forum and have enjoyed reading the many useful facts and stories about Labradors! Marley is a sweet, light yellow Labrador boy who has been at our home for 2 months now. Things are going very well with training and adjusting to our family. image.jpg

In different lights, Marley shows triangular patches of 'thinner hair' around his eyes which is making me a little worried. Two separate vets have checked Marley and both said should not be mange or mites related issues.

I would love to get some advice from this excellent pool of Labrador knowledge as to what it might be, should I worry, and of course, how to help Marley! (No itch, no redness, only thinner hair around the eyes hence showing more of his black skin from underneath.)

image.jpg

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Could it be he is just shedding out his puppy coat?
    A couple things to try are fish oil supplements (make sure it is balanced w/ Vit E though) and/ or coconut oil. He may just need more omegas in his diet, and they sure won't hurt anything. That's a stressful age as teething etc is going on, and immune is often a bit on the low side still. All of mine get these supplements.
    Welcome to the board! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

CharlesMaMa is offline Junior Member

Thank you Anne, I will looking into the supplements as suggested. I also intend to slowly change Marley over to a grain free, fish base dry food next week. Finger crossed! thanks again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Murrisha is offline Junior Member

We adopted Teller from a shelter, he was previously a return and he came back to the shelter with Demodedic "mange," although it was apparently never to the level of full-scale mange with the horrible thick, grayish elephant skin patches. Still, he had patches of hair that were missing on his stomach and elbows when we got him. He was negative for Demodex before we got him, however he started getting patches on his elbows and we took him to the vet. The vet said patches of thinning hair and rough skin are normal on the elbows and other areas of big dogs where they might rub it off. It might be something similar with Marley's face, although Teller does has some thinner patches of hair on certain places of his body.