Hello from Southern California
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Southern California

jessrenee17 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHello from Southern California

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time EVER on a forum so I apologize if I don't get the lingo & such.

My fiance & I have a 7 month old, 70 lb, black lab named Benjamin. He is our little tornado, but we just adore him! He's clumsy at times & lovable all the time. We both had a lab growing up & for the most part, familiar with lab behavior.

Neither of our labs growing up were water diggers. Benjamin is a water digger! I've read that it could be from boredom. He is alone around 6 hours each day during the week. We feel bad about that but living in California, it's almost impossible to live off of one income, so we gotta work! So we have bought him every toy you can think of while we're gone. When we're home we go for walks & he's glued to our side. Even sleeps in bed with us. This mornine when I let him out, he almost immediately started water digging. I can't imagine he was that bored, that fast.

The other thing I have read is simply that labs love water. & lately it's been anywhere from 90-100 degrees where I live so I imagine he's trying to cool off. Because of the heat I don't want him digging in his water because he leaves it with about an inch of muddy water.

My question is; are there water bowls/trofts made for this? He no longer has a water bowl. He used to just dump that completely. So we bought a huge troft thinking he wouldn't be able to knock it over...which he doesn't, now he splashes around in it.

I thank you for even reading this far & look forward to not only getting my questions answered, but hopefully being able to provide some insight to others as well.

Have a beautiful day!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Defaultwater digging

Hmph! I never even heard of a water digger so I don't have anything helpful to say but welcome!!! I am sure someone on here will know something helpful!

kny
    kny is offline Junior Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! I will look into it.
    Have you tried this before?

kny
    kny is offline Junior Member

I have one just like that and it works good for my dog. I never have to worry about dirty water in the bowl.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

is he digging indoors or outdoors? (is the water inside or outside)? Is it a water bowl?

Really the dog does it because it's fun - not really anything more complicated than that. my mix digs in the pool often, i think it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    is he digging indoors or outdoors? (is the water inside or outside)? Is it a water bowl?

Really the dog does it because it's fun - not really anything more complicated than that. my mix digs in the pool often, i think it's hilarious.

His water is outdoors. It isn't a bowl, more like a troft. We gave up on bowls because he would knock those over & we got the troft because we thought it would be heavier so he wouldn't knock it over.

It is funny & I know he's doing it to cool off in this heat, but for that same reason I don't want him wasting his water in the middle of the day & ending up with just a couple inches of dirty water left to drink until we get home.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

being indoors during the day would be safe as well.

jertom is offline Senior Member

apparently you already have something for him to play in, add anything like this for the rest of your concerns:
    http://www.amazon.com/RPI-Gallon-Aut...enser+for+dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    being indoors during the day would be safe as well.
    He is only outdoors while we are at work. If we left him inside while we were gone, I'm afraid I wouldn't have any furniture left. We are lucky that he's never torn up any furniture, shoes, cords, etc. yet. But I wouldn't even want to risk it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast