Just Labradors banner

Hello from Southern California

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jessrenee17 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time EVER on a forum so I apologize if I don't get the lingo & such.

My fiance & I have a 7 month old, 70 lb, black lab named Benjamin. He is our little tornado, but we just adore him! He's clumsy at times & lovable all the time. We both had a lab growing up & for the most part, familiar with lab behavior.

Neither of our labs growing up were water diggers. Benjamin is a water digger! I've read that it could be from boredom. He is alone around 6 hours each day during the week. We feel bad about that but living in California, it's almost impossible to live off of one income, so we gotta work! So we have bought him every toy you can think of while we're gone. When we're home we go for walks & he's glued to our side. Even sleeps in bed with us. This mornine when I let him out, he almost immediately started water digging. I can't imagine he was that bored, that fast.

The other thing I have read is simply that labs love water. & lately it's been anywhere from 90-100 degrees where I live so I imagine he's trying to cool off. Because of the heat I don't want him digging in his water because he leaves it with about an inch of muddy water.

My question is; are there water bowls/trofts made for this? He no longer has a water bowl. He used to just dump that completely. So we bought a huge troft thinking he wouldn't be able to knock it over...which he doesn't, now he splashes around in it.

I thank you for even reading this far & look forward to not only getting my questions answered, but hopefully being able to provide some insight to others as well.

Have a beautiful day!

See less See more
#7 ·
His water is outdoors. It isn't a bowl, more like a troft. We gave up on bowls because he would knock those over & we got the troft because we thought it would be heavier so he wouldn't knock it over.

It is funny & I know he's doing it to cool off in this heat, but for that same reason I don't want him wasting his water in the middle of the day & ending up with just a couple inches of dirty water left to drink until we get home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.