New Puppy Blues!

Thread: New Puppy Blues!

Michelle B. is offline Junior Member

SmileNew Puppy Blues!

Hi everyone,
    After losing our 11 year old black lab in April, our 17 year old son decided that since we are a "dog" family that we needed to get another dog. So...on July 13 we picked up our new black lab puppy, Phinley. He was 71/2 weeks old when we got him and is now almost 14 weeks old. I can honestly say that having raised two previous labs (the first one was yellow and passed at age 10 in 2004), this puppy is nothing like the other two. Not surprising...I know that all dogs are different. This one, however, is really trying our patience. Phinley is a biter. He's very smart. He house trained very easily. He learned to sit, stay and come relatively quickly. He's not perfect every time but I would have to say that most of the time he does very well. We have tried what seems like everything to curb his biting including yelping like a litter mate, ignoring him, being the "alpha" by putting him on his back and holding him until he gives up, using Bitter Apple, crating him...I'm exhausted!! We know that puppies bite and like to mouth things. He goes above and beyond that. He definitely doesn't respond to a loud or lowered voice, he doesn't seem to "feel" remorse and in fact he just gets angrier and more aggressive the more we try to discipline him. We try to play a lot of fetch and I take him for a walk everyday. I would say that I'm desperate. I would LOVE to hear some advice and some feedback from other lab owners. After raising two other labs, we thought we knew every trick but apparently not. Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Get him into classes and give him some mental challenges. No, just because you've raised 2 doesn't mean much. I have 8 here, all related, and they are all different in their ways even at that.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Time heals all wounds.

Ruby was very young when I signed up here two years ago at my whit's end.
    If I was woken up from a deep sleep by my wife the first words out of my mouth were "Ruby No!"

That's not really true but close.
    They can be a handful to say the least.

Hang in there and try not to kill little Phinley.

Let's see him.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Get him into classes and give him some mental challenges. No, just because you've raised 2 doesn't mean much. I have 8 here, all related, and they are all different in their ways even at that.
    OMG! 8 labs at once. Ya gotta love 'em. How you got 8 dogs to sit there for a pic is a wonder.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby No! View Post
    OMG! 8 labs at once. Ya gotta love 'em. How you got 8 dogs to sit there for a pic is a wonder.
    I'm still working on the newest pic w/ MY Ruby.... LOL. What a terd............

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

pageturner is offline Junior Member

what is the nature of his biting...more mouthing or destruction of whatever he gets to?

Wiilldd1 is offline Junior Member

We our in the Palm Springs area and have a 9 week old black lab. He does the mouthing typical of puppies, but we have started to just grab around his snout until he is annoyed and it seems to keep him from wanting to bite more on us. Maybe a bark to tell us he did not like that, but it makes him think twice about biting us again. We try to keep him busy by what I call play training. sitting, walking on leash, and getting him excited to retrieve his small chuck-it dummy. He does not like the heat, so laying on the cold tile after playing is a favorite of his.
    This is our 4th Lab and yes they are all different! Good luck and I am sure you and the puppy will find a way. 150813 Axe 1.jpg