new owner

Thread: new owner

Mike Howze is offline Junior Member

Defaultnew owner

I just got a 9 week old black lab (Ruger). not very sure on what i'm doing, but willing to give it my best shot. i did post a couple of questions else where in here but still reading all i can to make sure i get this right. great to be here to ask everyone and get some great advice. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

welcome to you and Ruger!

FLGreg is offline Junior Member

I am a new user to this site also. I guess the Mods are slow to approve my posts.

As a Lab owner for most of my adult life the best advice I can give is to get as much exercise as possible or else it'll find other ways to expend that energy (like chewing everything from shoes to remote controls).

A second piece of advice is to read up on the proper training techniques. It seems that the folks here can point you to some good resources depending on what you want to get out of your Lab - companion, hunting, ect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Mike, I know some people don't like to hear this, but your breeder is your best resource. I saw a post on feeding elsewhere. A good rule of thumb I give my pup owners is 1C per month of age up thru 4-5 mos.

That said, it does depend on the lines. I have a 6mo old here who leveled off at ~4.5 C per day-- she's ~54# now, but had to eat a little over that rule of thumb range in order to not be too thin. The last pup I raised (now 16mos) was well under that range and leveled off at 3.5 C. They are all different, so you just have to go by the feel of their ribs to ensure they are neither too thin, nor too fat. Best of luck. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Mike Howze is offline Junior Member

thanks. i spoke with him and he said about 3 cups a day. took him to vet today for his next set of shots and the vet said the same thing,so that suggestion from them should work. the shots didnt impress him any but he'll get over it. Lots of good info on here so i'll tap everyone for their knowledge. Thanks again.