First time owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time owner

JoO'H is offline Junior Member

DefaultFirst time owner

Hi. We just purchased a chocolate lab on June20.Decide to walk around a pet store to get out of the rain.We saw her and felt obligated to buy her. She was 5 weeks old and in a crate.Never had a lab before and this little girl seems very hyper.We already have a male7 yr. old mix breed retriever and a 14 yr. old cat.Suggestions would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Oh boy, all I can say is best of luck to you. 5 wks is against the law in many states, and the poor pup really needed mom and littermates for another 3 wks, so the "hyper" part could be lack of sibling exposure or a number of things (genetic included).
    Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

poor dog. good luck. Unfortunately you will likely have an uphill battle with this puppy for a long list of reasons, I wish you the best. Make sure to properly socialize the dog as safely and positively as possible as the dog will have lost out on some key, crucial time with the litter. Look into puppy classes and lots of controlled meetings with known, healthy and social/friendly dogs in safe places. At the puppies's pace.

Unfortunately as long as people "save" the puppy in the window, the parents will continue to suffer in the background in puppy mills pumping out more and more dogs Pet store only knows that the product sold quickly and they made a profit so will order more puppies

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JoO'H is offline Junior Member

Hi. As a new member introducing myself,I wrote a misprint.The chocolate lab I felt the obligation to buy was 5 months old not 5 weeks and had been in the crate that whole time.Maybe that is why she appears to be very hyper.

jertom is offline Senior Member

yea, a little difference tween 5 weeks and 5 months.
    I am not a skilled dog trainer, there's some here that can and will help,
    I don't know how he's going to live at your place, inside except for exercise?
    but do what you can, love him, get him out of that crate, introduce him to the world,
    housebreak, be very patient, he needs to socialize with people and other dogs,
    consider puppy training.
    thanks for doing the right thing!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Whew, but still, what was she exposed to up until 5mos? Was she a rescue or was this really a pet store selling on behalf of commercial breeders?
    Regardless, you do have your work cut out for you as she likely lost all that important socialization time (pretty much up thru 14 -16 wks) if in a crate. Get to classes asap! Give her a job... You want the foundation set for obed prior to 6mos as that is when they REALLY get their energy and naughtiness. I've found my own pups really start to bond to me once they are in classes and can work one on one w/ me.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Mike Howze is offline Junior Member

Default1st time lab owner

i too am a 1st time lab owner and he's a black lab 9 weeks old. He is a handful, but slowly learning his habits (good an/or bad). i will probably be on here asking all sorts of questions for assistance. 1st question is how much should he weigh at this age. 2nd how much do we feed him. I'm told about a cup & 1/2 a day is that enough? Now that i have got those 2 out i'll reserve the rest for another day. Thanks for any info. I'm really looking forward raising him (Ruger).

jertom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Howze View Post
    i too am a 1st time lab owner and he's a black lab 9 weeks old. He is a handful, but slowly learning his habits (good an/or bad). i will probably be on here asking all sorts of questions for assistance. 1st question is how much should he weigh at this age. 2nd how much do we feed him. I'm told about a cup & 1/2 a day is that enough? Now that i have got those 2 out i'll reserve the rest for another day. Thanks for any info. I'm really looking forward raising him (Ruger).
    Rocky weighed 12 lbs. at that age but I would think this may vary from pup to pup, has he been to the vet yet?
    don't get too hung up on amount of food, here's the formula I used:
    feed three times a day the amount he'll eat in 15-20 minutes (he'll probably stop eating by himself) pickup food bowl till next meal.
    you are feeding puppy food, right?
    Rocky is 10 months old, 78 lbs. and still on puppy food.
    many opinions out there on type, brand of food and they all have merit.

FLGreg is offline Junior Member

Welcome to the world of Labrador Retrievers. Hopefully you will have many happy years ahead of you. Even the "bad" things dogs do can do are a source of some of the funniest stories.

Good Luck!

Mike Howze is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm feeding him 3 times a day a little more than a 1/2 cup each time and he scarfs it down in no time at all (like he hasn't eaten in days). He goes this Saturday for his next set of shots. As of yesterday he weighed 10.4 lbs. Thanks again and I'll provide updates as I get them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast