New 8 week old!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 8 week old!

Cowabunga is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew 8 week old!

Hi all, my name is Kevin and I just brought him my 8 week old yellow lab, Rory!

Looking forward to learning all I can here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also I have a question on him sleeping at night but can't seem to post to the puppy section? Is there a minimum post count to do this? Could really use help.

Were crate training the pup, and he seems to cry to go outside to the yard every 1-2 hours at night (rarely two hours). He almost always pees when he does, its only one time been to play (which I quickly brought him back in). The breeder said he was going 3 hours no problem without soiling the newspaper.

Is he doing this just to give him the treat we give him when he pees outside? Or is this just all his bladder can hold? Should we ignore him and just bring him out at the three hour mark interval?
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 07-28-2015 at 10:53 AM.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Is your dog named after a Canadian?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nope, a Northern Irishman.

jertom is offline Senior Member

puppy bathroom: 1 hour per month of age +1, Rory 2+1=3 hours, looks like your breeder was right on.
    this is just a rule of thumb, if he's in a crate and you're close (which you should be) , should be able to tell
    when he has to go.
    try changing the treats to "good boy" and a pat on the head.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

LOL, Rory was my Grandfather's name. A first generation Canadian of Scottish descent. One meaning I found of Rory is "red haired Chieftain" which certainly matched Grandpa. His children called Grandpa "The Boss." I hope your Rory calls YOU the boss.

I didn't treat for going outside to bathroom.

Usually they can go longer at night than during the day, just like us. But if he has to go, well then, he has to go. You're lucky you get a warning cry, at that age they have no control over bladder or sphincter. How long have you had him? It might take him a few days/nights to settle in. My fist puppy slept through the night. This one needed out twice a night for a month, then once a night for another month. Of course I would get the one needing out at night in the middle of a very cold, very snowy winter.

Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    LOL, Rory was my Grandfather's name. A first generation Canadian of Scottish descent. One meaning I found of Rory is "red haired Chieftain" which certainly matched Grandpa. His children called Grandpa "The Boss." I hope your Rory calls YOU the boss.

Usually they can go longer at night than during the day, just like us. But if he has to go, well then, he has to go. You're lucky you get a warning cry, at that age they have no control over bladder or sphincter. How long have you had him? It might take him a few days/nights to settle in. My fist puppy slept through the night. This one needed out twice a night for a month, then once a night for another month. Of course I would get the one needing out at night in the middle of a very cold, very snowy winter.

Pictures?
    He actually went 3 hours last night, which was impressive! However, he followed up his 4 am potty break with a 4:36 am potty break (wouldn't stop crying). Then, the 5:30 am crying fit to go pee again...

I've had him all of 3 days now! So, I'm sure you're correct and there is some adjustment going on.

We had a very brutal winter this year, so I'm very fortunate that he's going through his growing bladder phase in the summer. Though it's hot/humid, I'll take it.

Here's a pic after he was digging in the dirt

Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
    puppy bathroom: 1 hour per month of age +1, Rory 2+1=3 hours, looks like your breeder was right on.
    this is just a rule of thumb, if he's in a crate and you're close (which you should be) , should be able to tell
    when he has to go.
    try changing the treats to "good boy" and a pat on the head.
    Thanks, he was actually able to go 3 hours last night! Then he followed that up with a 1/2 hour slumber before needing to go out again, and then a 1 hour slumber before going out. No consistency!!!

I'm working on cutting down on the treats. He always runs to me after doing his thing to get a treat so he'll have a weening off curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post

Pictures?
    I've only had him 3 days, so I think your assessment is correct that he's in an adjusting phase. I don't envy you having to deal with a puppy in a cold winter, as we had a very cold winter this year here as well!

Here's a picture!

jertom is offline Senior Member

He'll do fine.
    Here's what you have to look forward to;
    at 9 months Rocky will go out in the morning, walk around for 20 minutes, lie down, and when asked if he went, says he forgot!
    not high on his priority list I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast