9-1/2 week old Sophie black Lab saying hi...

Thread: 9-1/2 week old Sophie black Lab saying hi...

SophieFrost is offline Junior Member

Default9-1/2 week old Sophie black Lab saying hi...

Yes I nip and yelp and walk on the dishwasher but I also respond to training and am pretty darn cute. Looking for a "camp"--2 or 3 week training with a great instructor in the northeast. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

good luck getting it to work. you have to be the trainer.

I know we have to be the trainer! We are having great success with Sophie in the 2-1/2 weeks we've had her! Sophie is 95% housebroken, sits and stays. We start puppy kindergarten on Weds. I'm looking for a camp for her when she's about four months old. My family has traditionally sent their Labs off to "camp" to learn to retrieve etc. Perhaps the world has changed in 14 years (that's when I last had a Lab puppy) and no one does that any more? I am new to the Northeast and don't know trainers in this area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SophieFrost View Post
    I know we have to be the trainer! We are having great success with Sophie in the 2-1/2 weeks we've had her! Sophie is 95% housebroken, sits and stays. We start puppy kindergarten on Weds. I'm looking for a camp for her when she's about four months old. My family has traditionally sent their Labs off to "camp" to learn to retrieve etc. Perhaps the world has changed in 14 years (that's when I last had a Lab puppy) and no one does that any more? I am new to the Northeast and don't know trainers in this area.
    that is a great idea. I am in southeast so can't help recommend anyone but I love that idea. I did with mine for 2 months and I went 1-2 times a week to get trained along with him. Worthwhile investment

ItsTangy is offline Junior Member

where in the NE are you? I am in NYC and I will be getting my pup in Sept. when he's 8 wks...
    Let me know if you find anything! I'll let you know if I find any place good as well. I know there is a camp by Princeton NJ...I don't know the name though..just drove past it a few times along Rt. 1/9

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Send away camps are usually for hunting people. Pet folks don't really do it. If it was in fashion 14 years ago, it's really NOT anymore. Training is bonding time for you. If a trainer can get a dog to do something, it still doesn't mean YOU will be able to work with the dog.

ItsTangy is offline Junior Member

thanks yellowbelly for the info! I thought this is something people do nowadays in lieu of puppy class or something..
    guess we can't be lazy and have the work done for us

I don't know that it's only done for hunting. My father has always done it for hunting, yes, but I have good friends in SC and MO who used the camp experience to polish training already instilled.

BTW, we are in Rhode Island!

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SophieFrost View Post
    I don't know that it's only done for hunting. My father has always done it for hunting, yes, but I have good friends in SC and MO who used the camp experience to polish training already instilled.
    It is often used for hunting but certainly can be used for other things as well. My dog is not used for hunting really and I sent him away for training. All about your budget and your time too.