Hello everyone,
I joined this forum because I've now owned a lab for 11 years and I need an outlet for my "crazy dog lady ness." Unfortunately I have no close friends with labs so I don't get to let it out much. I used to work with dogs so I could let my (for lack of a better expression) freak flag fly lol but I also wanted to join because I felt that there would be many people on here who I could share my funny/sad lab stories. Just recently my old man (Clyde, 11) has taken a turn for the worse, he's had hip problems since he was 3 and for the last year now he has been going swimming and for laser therapy on a regular basis to keep his quality of life. Sadly, yesterday after his short swim session he could not get his back legs to work. We took him to the vet this morning, thinking this would be his final act, and she informed us that she was very pleased that he has basically had holistic treatment for his hips and arthritis. Then she said we could put him on an anti-inflammatory (Carprofen, which I guess is basically Rimadyl) and Methocarbamol to relieve his muscle pain. In addition to continuing laser treatment and no more swimming. I apologize for my rant but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible, also I wanted to originally post on the Senior Lab thread but since I'm a newbie I could not. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I've heard many good things about Carprofen (if your dog tolerates it, which Clyde does) but I'd like to know how much time am I borrowing for my old man? Please and thank you to everyone who helps, I look forward to talking to you!