The puppy I am buying has a pink and brown nose what does this mean.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The puppy I am buying has a pink and brown nose what does this mean.

Bessie is offline Junior Member

QuestionThe puppy I am buying has a pink and brown nose what does this mean.

Hi

I am due to buy a Fox Red Labrador puppy which has a pink and brown nose already. I'm not sure what this means as the rest of the litter all have brown noses.
    I have read about the snow nose and my understanding is that the nose changes colour around different seasons and normally occurs in older dogs. This puppy appears to been born like this so what does this mean? We were the last to buy one of the puppies so were given no choice! Should I be concerned? The breeder seems to think that it's normal as her dogs have pink noses at times. Could this be a pigment problem and could this cause problems?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Yellow labs (fox red is a shade of yellow) are born with pink noses. The black pigment, if there genetically, will start to come in at ~3 - 5 days typically. If both parents carry both yellow and choc color genes, there is a chance that you get yellow pups w/ pink or chocolate pigment instead. Think of it as a puppy that was supposed to be a chocolate (they have liver pigment, not black) but at the "coat check" was issued a yellow coat instead of a brown one.

They are not favored by the show ring, to the point of a DQ if pink, but other than that there are no health concerns associated w/ the lighter pigment though if you life in a hot climate, sunburn may be more of an issue.

I'd personally be far more concerned about hip, elbow, eye, heart, EIC, PRA, CNM clearances on the parents and grandparents than this.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

jimp is offline Member

What about a yellow having a black nose? My lab is now 9 months old and his nose is stiil black. I was wondering if it is possible for his nose to turn lighter or even pink? I heard that eating out of a plastic dog dish could make that happen. Is that just an old wives tale or is it true?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    What about a yellow having a black nose? My lab is now 9 months old and his nose is stiil black. I was wondering if it is possible for his nose to turn lighter or even pink? I heard that eating out of a plastic dog dish could make that happen. Is that just an old wives tale or is it true?
    depends on the color of the dish. common knowledge

jimp is offline Member

So what color is the dish that does it? Neon pink?

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

You don't want his nose to turn pink. But yes, some dogs are allergic to plastic and can lose pigment.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

And it's the plastic allergy that does it, not the color of the bowl. You were kidding right???????

jimp is offline Member

Yes I was kidding! I was being sarcastic to the ridiculous response from Fan when they say color makes a difference.

jimp is offline Member

I agree with you on not wanting his nose to turn pink. His nose is so black and he also looks like he is wearing black eyliner too lol.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Yes I was kidding! I was being sarcastic to the ridiculous response from Fan when they say color makes a difference.
    You were being sarcastic to my ridiculous response of your silly question?

Inception level stuff.

Also, my response was meant to be an obvious joke. I guess it was not obvious since people took it serious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast